Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Homelink 8550 garage opener (its newest top od the line unit) which i am unable to get to work with the JX. I was able to get the opener to communicate with my 2011 BMW 5 series so I know that there is nothing wrong with the opener and remotes. I followed the instructions on the manual for the JX, and got identical instructions from Liftmaster's website for how to program the car buttons. After resetting the buttons from the car (pressing buttons 1 and 3) for about 20 seconds, I then press the remote button and the car button I want to assign it to. It never gets to the point where the LED on the mirror blinks quickly to say that it has been programmed. I am following the instructions perfectly. It seems that cars that are unable to connect are those whose Homelink system in their car is not version 4.0 (I don't know what version the JX is, but would be surprised if it wasnt the latest version). Liftmaster apparently has a "repeater" module for cars not compatible with the opener, and maybe this will solve it.

Has anyone has any similar experiences with their garage door opener programming?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I have 4 year old Chamberlian Liftmasters that work with our 2012 Nissan Rogue and the JX. I had to hold the buttons down as you mentioned, then hit the Learn button on the Liftmaster, then quickly return to the car to push one of the three buttons on the mirror. Both car Homelinks work perfect. I did use Chamberlains support line the first time and they were very helpful. Let us know if you get it working or if it fails.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What a coincidence!
I just drove back a brand new JX from the dealership today *grin* and I initially spent about 30 minutes going nowhere with the homelink setup. Eventually I figured it out and was able to get it working.

My garage opener is : Genie.
What I did:
1. Reset the homelink system by pressing the first (leftmost) and third (rightmost) homelink button for 20 seconds. When the system reset, it will blink slowly
2. Press the 1st homelink button SIMULTENEOUSLY with my garage door opener. Within 5 seconds, I got the indicator to flash rapidly
3. I then go to my garage opener, climbed a stair, and press the "learning" button
4. Quickly (within 10 seconds), I press the 1st homelink button again for 2 seconds, let go. Press it again for 2 seconds, let go. And on the third push, I got my garage door opened!

Needless to say, my instruction may not work for you since you have a different garage opener. But I hope my instruction above (especially the tricky No.4 will help someone out there)

FYI: http://www.homelink.com/ has a great resource and has tutorial video. You may find it useful.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same problem. Call tech sopport for home link. They told me to unbolt the
Wireless controlled unit from outside if the garage and use that instead of my opener. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's the latest. My opener is the most current model on the market and requires Homelink version 4 car controllers. My 2011 BMW is fine, but after extensive time on the phone with Homelink tech support (which seems to be outsourced to Chamberlain), they determined that the Homelink unit in the JX is not the most current, so my fancy new opener is not compatible without the "repeater" that they are sending me (no charge, just $7 shipping and handling) which will convert the signal to that which older Homelink units can understand. I am totally surprised that my 2013 Vehicle contains older technology! Homelink support says that this is not totally uncommon. They suggest calling Infiniti to see if they will provide an update or upgrade. The repeater is easy to config. The downside is that it must be plugged in and if there is a power outage, it will be without power (whereas by opener with the battery backup would be fine). Not a big deal since i have a wireless keypad "just in case".

So 95% of the openers on the market will be fine. But this very new model will not work. Sigh!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm sure you followed the directions, but I did not see mention of pressing the "learn" button on the actual opener. I have a new house with a new garage door and it worked one after I pressed the learn button...just in case you forgot to try that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure you followed the directions, but I did not see mention of pressing the "learn" button on the actual opener. I have a new house with a new garage door and it worked one after I pressed the learn button...just in case you forgot to try that.
Thanks. Actually, The problem was that we could not even get to that stage. When trying to link the remote to a button in the car, it never was anle to go from a slow flashing LED to a fast LED. The Homelink mirror basically would time out. If the pair would have occured (the LED goes from a slow flash to a quick flash), then the next step would have been the learn process. We did not even get there. I will report back after the repeater comes in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Take a look at this Infiniti video. Helped me out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mkfgm4j-Dc
Thans, saw that too. The set-up from car to car is basically identical. My BMW took all of 45 seconds to set up both. My issue relates to that fact that my opener now uses a new technology for codes called Security+ 2.0 that needs Homelink devices based on the version 4 platform. This particular opener is very new. It was explained that 95+% of openers old and new are still based on the pre-existing code technology so there would be no issues. This link explains the repeater and why it is needed - http://www.gatehousesupplies.com/HOMELINKRPTR-p/homelinkrptr.htm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE

I received the "repeater" from Chamberlain for my Lift Master. Within 3 minutes, I was able to connect my car to e garage opener. So there you have it. The JX is not compatible with the latest version of Homelink openers even though it has been out for two years!

My next beef.....the hommelink buttons work without the car being on. In the BMW, they only work with the car on, or in the ACC mode. So no chance of a window smash and then an entry into my garage. But if this is done on the JX, an intruder can open your garage. Not smart.

·
Registered
524 Posts
UPDATE

So no chance of a window smash and then an entry into my garage. But if this is done on the JX, an intruder can open your garage. Not smart.
If it makes you feel any better, it's real easy to bend in the upper aluminum garage door panel to pull the emergency release cord. then you simply lift the door. No window smash required.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My next beef.....the hommelink buttons work without the car being on. In the BMW, they only work with the car on, or in the ACC mode. So no chance of a window smash and then an entry into my garage. But if this is done on the JX, an intruder can open your garage. Not smart.
If you use the lock button on the main open/close button, this would also solve the problem. That locks the door for any remotes, the only way to open is with the main button. I have to leave my truck outside and its homelink works without power to vehicle as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it makes you feel any better, it's real easy to bend in the upper aluminum garage door panel to pull the emergency release cord. then you simply lift the door. No window smash required.
Zip-tie the security release latch....lots of vids on You Tube to show you how. The release is designed to allow you to open the door in a power outage. Not needed, especially if your opener has a battery back-up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a brand new 2013 Nissan Pathfinder. I spent an hour to connect the Homelink to my garage opener and got no where. I have a new house with Wayne Dalton Prodrive garage opener. I followed the instruction from eosckar and it worked. Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm reviving this thread as it appears I'm having a similar issue. I have a three car garage with two 15 year old openers and one just installed. My 2013 JX mates to the older ones fine. But it appears that the new garage door remote will cannot be programmed into the JX's Homelink. But check this out... when I had the QX60 loaner, I was able to program the new door to it!

The dealer replaced my JX rear view mirror/Homelink. But when I got home, I still have the issue. Does anyone know if there is a "new" rear view mirror/Homelink part number for the 2015 QX60's which would explain why that one worked? And then I assume they replaced my mirror with the old part number? The part number that shows in my repair report is "MIRROR ASSY - INSIDE - 96321 - CM30A". Is there a newer part number?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts