Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still don't have my car yet, but I am contemplating getting a 4-person hitch bike rack soon after I get it. Would I need to order the tow package? Even tho' all I really want is a hitch receiver? Any insights would be appreciated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
From what I've seen, the hitch for the JX is integrated into the rear bumper. So if you want it, it needs to be ordered and installed at the factory, not the dealer. I'm sure there will be an aftermarket hitch eventually, but it will take a while for a company to design one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
That is my understanding. One of the reasons, I had to order my JX because most available on the lot did not have the tow package installed. We need it for our bike rack as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers. This is a bummer. I guess I'm going to wait for the aftermarket hitch to arrive. I won't pay $600+ for this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They can install the factory hitch at the dealer -- I ordered mine when I bought the car and thy will install it when it comes in a few weeks from now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
With the Tech package that has BCI, I thought doing a hitch after the fact might mess up the electronics, so I was looking for one with factory hitch. I was lucky enough to find a car in the exact color my wife wanted with the tow package. It's a 2 inch receiver and there a plug on the right side for brake lights on the back of a trailer. It integrates real well into the black trim and is not very noticeable at quick glance.

JX Hitch.jpg

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
^ wow looks nice. I like how they hid the plugs for the brake lights. It actually doesn't look as obtrusive as I would have thought.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That does look nice. This is the best pic I've seen, most are offset. My dealer is also installing after arrival.

Is it true the wiring harness is not included with the Tow Package? The assessories site says something about an additional $85.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will stop by at the local dealer this week to look at the tow package and confirm if it can be installed there.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Ask about the wiring harness too. It would be eye gouging to have to pay for the wiring harness. It should just be included in the price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm picking up my JX later this week. I'll provide an update on the harness fees.
I confirmed this week - the hitch put on at the dealer includes a new trim piece that makes it exactly like the factory hitch - you do have to order the wiring harness as an additional accessory for 85 bucks. I think they separated it as some folks will not want it as they just wanted the hitch for a bike rack or a storage rack.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yes, good news. Thanks

However a harness should come with "tow package" installations. Feels like nickel/dime approach.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I saw one for the JX on U-Haul's website, but it describes it being for a FWD JX. Ours is an AWD. I don't know why it would matter what type of drivetrain you have. I am also a little concerned with an aftermarket hitch interferring with the BCI sensors. I don't plan on installing a wire harness, though... Just using it for a bike or storage carrier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw that hitch as well. Curious how low it mounts under the bumper and if any drilling is needed. If not, I'd order it and install it myself. Would really like to see a picture before I pull the trigger. $300 sounds better than $1,000 for the dealer installed hitch.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I saw that hitch as well. Curious how low it mounts under the bumper and if any drilling is needed. If not, I'd order it and install it myself. Would really like to see a picture before I pull the trigger. $300 sounds better than $1,000 for the dealer installed hitch.
Tow package from factory is $630 MSRP and looks very clean. I'm not sure how the U Haul hitch will look like because they black trim on the bottom side of the rear bumper definitely has to be cut for a hitch to be installed.

Is your dealer really charging $1000 to install the tow package? I would think they would charge the same as from factory.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I came up with a total of $400 installed at the Uhaul.com website for my local Uhaul. I'm happy to spend a couple hundred more for Infiniti factory tow package.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tell them what other dealers are charging...

and just be like no way man! or head to a deale rand get invoice quotes and see how much they are charging!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts