Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone has replaced their D2S bulbs? From what I can see, access to the JX lights will need to be from the wheel well as theres no room to get your hand from the top (hood).

I'm going to order a pair of Osram CBI bulbs which are a pure white 5000K color to match the LED city lights and increase visibilty. I have this this bulb in a BMW and it looks great with the clear lenses, really white and bright and much better side lighting. However, with our fresnel lenses I'm a little concern whether the color may be a bit yellow. If anyone has experience with fresnel lenses your feedback is appreciated. I'm aiming for a pure white output and color in the headlights!

Also, is anyone interested in a group buy for these lights? They are amazingly bright at a higher 5K temperature with no lumen loss over OEM.
If there is enough interest (over 10 I think) I can contact The Retrofit Source and see if we can get a discount. Retail is $185 USD for a pair.

Thanks

BJX

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oem bulbs should be about 4300K and 35 watts. The CBI's lumens are about the same as stock if not a little better but the color has no yellow.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You can try to go from the fender reaching up. But I have my doubt. You might have to remove the headlight. At least that'll make it much easier.

The OSRAM CBIs are the leading D2s bulb at the moment.

The fresnel lens won't really make it yellow. If anything the output might not be as vivid. Cutoff won't be as sharp.

If you are really good with headlights swap for a clear lens.

I doubt you will get ten people. Most of JX owners still have bulbs in excellent condition. Kind of a waste to swap them out so fast. The stock bulbs are still plenty bright. Though those CBIs will be brighter and have a more attractive color.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I do agree with Thorin78 that "you get what you pay for" for HID bulbs because there's significant lumen loss with other brands and they probably don't have UV reducing glass which prevents damage the bowls.

calboy, the best 5000K alternative to the CBI's that I found are the Morimoto XB35s at the retrofit source at $55/pair. Lumen for these are 2900 which is not bad but is a reduction from the OEM/CBI of around 3400.

cfrp, I'll have to check out access through the fender first but it would be a really bad design if the headlights need to be removed (bumper would probably need to removed as well then). I'd love to do the lense swap and spacing mod for the nice blue cutoff but that means cracking open the housing which would be a future project. If I'm opening the housing I would also look into drilling out the little jewels around the projector shroud and add LEDs as the DRL which would be a much longer project that I don't currently have time for. I agree that even a CBI swap is a bit of a waste for most people but I can't stand the yellowish output compared to my car with CBIs :). The CBI's should be a near perfect match with my LED city lights and 4300K fogs which are seem pure white in the stock reflector housing. Thanks for the fresnel lense opinion.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wouldn't call it bad design. My Acura TL has the same design of having to actually remove the damn bumper to change a bulb. Dealer charges $400 for the bulb change, and other shops around here charge like $250ish because they need to move the bumper. Acura was worried that the HID housing was going to be stolen because in the 2nd Gen TL, that happened, so they changed that design in the 3rd Gen. Ok, so it's a terrible design but it did serve a purpose.

I actually really hate the turn signal bulb and the other small parking light bulb. It absolutely makes no sense to me for those designs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd think that stealing a headlight assembly would be a great challenge in itself without stealing the entire car :)

I'm Ok with the city light but the extra reflector on the clear housing is terrible as it refracts the light into a giant blur. The placement of the signal light is also not ideal because its not very visible from a side view. Its really a safety issue as mentioned in another post. Another thought of mine is to add some side markers on the body or somehow on to the side mirrors. These are really things Infiniti should've considered!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled the wheel well lining back and the D2S bulbs are accessible so no need to remove the bumper/headlight. Also compared our projector lense with a murano and ours are actully clear and doesn't have the circular rings. Did infiniti use clears lenses on the JX!?
Btw, if anyone is interested in CBIs, theres a group by at the retrofit source on FB.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Taking the wheel off would give you a lot more room but you may get by with turning the wheels inwards. Theres about 3 screws and 1 clip on along the bumper and 3 screws on the underside.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes I got the discount. It's only for the CBI I believe.
The other 2 are stock color. It's a really good deal for CBIs!

·
Registered
209 Posts
it's only supposed to work for the CBI, but it works for everything else. I was looking at the Morimoto 50W 5k or 6k with ballast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool. I considered the 35w morimotos but its not as bright as the cbi. The 50w would probably be quite a bit brighter. Maybe pick up an extra set with the discount because the bulb life will be shorter running the additional wattage. Would love to see some pics if you end up with these!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just saw your reply. You'll be really happy with the output, color and brightness from the sides. The color is really white, even slightly blue when side by side with 4300k and the bulb color is slightly blue/purple.
I'm keeping the stockers as backup too, use it when CBIs die and the JX/QX is no longer a new model ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup saw them but wanted to do something different with LED for drls. Also don't have time to crack the housing open!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts