Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in the car today, pressed the heated steering wheel button, the light comes on and I forget about it. About 5 minutes down the road, I'm like "Hey, where's my heat?" I click the button off/on, still no heat. At a stop light, I turn the car off and back on again, hit the button. it lights up, but still no heat. If it was a fuse, the button wouldn't light up would it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The heated steering wheel system is designed to
operate only when the surface temperature of the
steering wheel is below approximately 68°F
(20°C).
Push the heated steering wheel switch to warm
the steering wheel after the engine starts. The
indicator light will come on.
If the surface temperature of the steering wheel is
below 68°F (20°C), the system will heat the
steering wheel to approximately 86°F (30°C),
then turn off automatically.
Push the switch again to turn the heated steering
wheel off manually. The indicator light will go off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I did read the manual. It's like 47 degrees when I get in the car. The wheel has heated up every morning and all of a sudden it just stopped. I found someone else who had a similar problem on a QX and the dealer found a wiring issue inside the steering wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the help. I would have been hard pressed to think I would have fallen for that feature so hard, but now when I grip that ice block at 5:30 in the morning it just makes me upset LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ack, now I am losing my mind. I got in the car today, it's cold outside. Steering wheel is cold, heated button is on. In the past, the wheel heated up right away. I decided to try a theory, about wiring in the steering wheel. I rotated the steering wheel from lock to lock several times. Lo and behold the wheel started to heat up. Now, here's the thing, it is not getting as hot as it used to. Before, the wheel got very hot, to the point where I had to turn it off. Now the heat is much, much more subtle. It is definitely warmer than the surrounding area, but you kind of have to feel the non-heated bits to confirm that the other part is actually heating. The heat isn't enough to warm my whole hand like it used to. I guess my question is, how warm/hot do your steering wheels get? Was my steering wheel getting too hot before and I just didn't know it? I hate going into a dealer with a nebulous problem like this and then be told that they can find no issues :-(

·
Registered
209 Posts
you might think it's trivial to bring it up, but I would bring it up b/c you have questions about it and it's a $50k car. It's about vehicle quality. If you found out that it's broken after warranty is over, you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't bring up something so trivial.

I can't get the ambient temp low enough to try it out in the first place. Maybe on my trip to Tahoe in Dec. it's supposed to heat to 86F, so you could get one of those laser temperature readers to know exactly where it's at. 86F is definitely warm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, yeah I'm sure I should take it in. The only thing that gets me more upset than an intermittent problem is going through all the trouble of taking it in and then getting an "operates normally" or "could not replicate" diagnosis. I might sit on it for now, unless it conks out completely again or I have another warranty issue to deal with.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Take it in for service. You'll definately know it's working cause it's almost too hot. That thing puts out some serious heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts