Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought the jx and have been noticing an issue. i smell fuel inside the car and i can smell it outside too. anyone else have that problem? i called the dealer and they said they never heard of that issue but they said to bring it in for service. i'll post if they find something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are smelling fuel inside and out this is a serious safety issue and should be taken to the dealer immediatly. Check your fuel cap just to be sure it is on correctly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It happened to me...after the first service/recall fix of the fuel tank issue. Turns out the gasket was put back incorrectly and they replaced it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought the car 3-4 weeks ago, i havent taken it for service yet. I am getting a bit concerned about the smell too. i hate taking car to a dealer, they never find problems and fix them. hopefully this one is serious enough they will find the problem and fix it.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Maybe you have the same problem as evanston45 and the fuel odor might be coming through a faulty gasket.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. I took it to the dealer last night, they will be inspecting it today. I'll see what they come up with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I expected, the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the vehicle. I still smell fuel inside when i'm driving. I even had my friend sit in it and he smelled it too, he even had a blocked nose. it seems like its coming from the heat vents.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
As I expected, the dealer couldn't find anything wrong with the vehicle. I still smell fuel inside when i'm driving. I even had my friend sit in it and he smelled it too, he even had a blocked nose. it seems like its coming from the heat vents.
It sure sounds like a fuel leak to me. We had one on our older M Class and it was the filler pipe connection at the fuel door location. There was a bad connection and nobody caught it until we purchased the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dealer apparently didnt smell it. they said they test drove it around with and w/o the vents open and couldnt smell anything. i dont understand, i smell it and whoever sits in the car smells it. i dont even tell the people about the fuel smell. i called the dealer back and they said narrow it down and bring it to them again. not sure how to really narrow it down more.

i agree with BobOB, i think it is a fuel leak. it seems like i smell it more when its in a "enclosed" area. i can even smell it if i have it parked in my driveway and its running for few minutes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it were me I would not take this issue lightly like I said in the beginning. If your dealer will not go further call corporate. If multiple people are smelling the fuell this is a HUGE safety issue, as in fire, explosion! If you are smelling fuel there are fuel vapors and as we all know they are flamible. If it is inside and gets stronger and you ignore it you could pass out while driving. I think I would demand that the dealer fix the issue, this is not normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If it were me I would not take this issue lightly like I said in the beginning. If your dealer will not go further call corporate. If multiple people are smelling the fuell this is a HUGE safety issue, as in fire, explosion! If you are smelling fuel there are fuel vapors and as we all know they are flamible. If it is inside and gets stronger and you ignore it you could pass out while driving. I think I would demand that the dealer fix the issue, this is not normal.
I will call corporate if i keep smelling it. the worse part is, i think i'm getting use to it now. i'll have to have my friends try it out. i imagine someone else has to have a similar issue. anyone out who encountered that issue?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts