Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fuel Economy Vs Distance to Empty...

So far have not been able to figure out how the JX calculates the fuel economy and miles before empty. I had just topped up the gas and reached home. The "miles before empty" showed 295 miles where the fuel economy was close to 22 MPG. With a full tank it should at least show 375 miles. Anyone has ideas how JX calculates this?

Speedometer Odometer Light Gauge Trip computer

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am starting to think that the system is not very accurate at all. Mine indicates we are only getting 15.4 mpg and when we filled up it said 225 miles to empty but if you divide 225 miles by 19.5 gallons of fue it is only 11.5 mpg. I have also noticed that the mpg in the diriver's display and on the big screen do not always match. I think infinity needs to update the trip computer. I noticed the same thing on a pathfinder we test drove too.

BTW: I would love to see those mpg numbers.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
On our trip to CA last year, the previous tank of gas before the trip gave me 20 mpg and when I filled up, it showed 345 miles to empty. I filled up with premium and hit the freeway non-stop to Oregon on Highway 5. I stayed under 65 mph and noticed I was getting better milage. I got 22 mpg and roughly 450 miles to that tank. Go figure???

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is definitely something askew in the way the JX calculates its distance-to-empty -- I experience similar inaccuracies as noted by mikidymac and BobOB...hopefully this is is something that can be resolved through a software update.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Many new Infinitis are like this. It's just not very accurate. Very confusing how they calculate the MPG and miles left. It is never accurate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like a huge design flaw for a luxery vehicle when even my F-350 Oil Tanker is somewhat accurate on distance to empty. Very important on a trip with long streaches between stations.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Sounds like a huge design flaw for a luxery vehicle when even my F-350 Oil Tanker is somewhat accurate on distance to empty. Very important on a trip with long streaches between stations.
I've had multiple vehicles with similar systems and they are all pretty close but not 100%. When the dealership did the recall work with the re-routing of the fuel tank tubing and re-calibration, it became very accurate. What I trust more is when the dreaded yellow warning light comes out telling me its time to fill up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys. So I'm not the only one... It is disappointing to see a number below 300 when we spend close to $65 for a full tank of premium gas. I use Costco Gas.

BobOB - You are right. If we keep the JX between 60-65 mph on a highway, the economy does increase a lot. Yesterday, on a 60 mile drive below 65 mph, I could see an addition of 23 miles to the "distance to empty" numbers. I mean, it didn't decrease on a 1:1 ratio with the miles traveled. But the over all number considering the tank capacity seems to be the problem here. I probably think that it considers the last traveled distance on a full tank and starts from there when the next fill up.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I am starting to think that the system is not very accurate at all. Mine indicates we are only getting 15.4 mpg and when we filled up it said 225 miles to empty but if you divide 225 miles by 19.5 gallons of fue it is only 11.5 mpg. I have also noticed that the mpg in the diriver's display and on the big screen do not always match. I think infinity needs to update the trip computer. I noticed the same thing on a pathfinder we test drove too.

BTW: I would love to see those mpg numbers.
You should run a manual calculation to ensure the computer isn't wrong (total miles divided by total gallons.) Just capture miles at next fill-up, then at the following fill-up, capture miles again, get the difference then divide by number of gallons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeller - This is my 6th fill-up and the numbers never matched. That's the reason I started this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts