Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By "does it matter" I mean to ask, instead of driving 35 miles to my dealer can't I just put conventional oil locally...or is there some type of "special break-in oil" at the 3400 mile mark?
( I know we can't put in Synthetic oil as the seals need to seat properly).
But, I can just use regular conventional oil by a quick lube place right??
airlaird

·
Registered
248 Posts
There was a thread going about this, the conclusion was inconclusive. Some manufacturers actually do put in special break in oil, I remember the LT-1 Corvette motor in our MasterCraft boat had a warning on the valve cover to not change until a certain number of hours. GM sells an additive they call "assembly lube", cuz they can't call it "break in oil" because it has too much zinc and phosphorus in it for government rules. I used it when I changed lifters and push rods on a 454 and in a brand new zz502. Can't be too careful.

BUT, from everything I could gather, these VQ35DE motors ship with a regular conventional oil without any magic stuff in it. So when I changed myr oil at 800 miles (rats, missed the 500 milestone where I usually change with new motors), I used good old fashioined Valvoline. AND, there is another Nissan filter that fits a VQ35 that's quite a bit bigger that the tiny one it comes with. I put one on, and it fits perfect. The plastic inner wheel well skirt just barely skims the end of the filter.

I let the oil sit for a few days and slowly decanted off the oil to expose the guck that settled out. I also cut the filter can off to stretch out the filter element pleats to see what was in them. When I get a moment, I will post pictures to show why I change at (around) 500 miles!!! The nasty stuff was bad as what I found in the oil from my archaically manfactured GM Performance zz502 cast iron big block.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Conventional oil at the first oil change should be fine. Get a Nissan filter if you want to play it safe.
Nissan oil requirements are pretty simple.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am in the same boat with my first oil change. There has been much debate on all forums about conventional oil vs. synthetic. I was reading the service manual for the JX and it states that "INFINITI recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Oil available at an INFINITI retailer". Nissan Ester is a full synthetic 5w-30. So it looks like Infiniti "recommends" synthetic but does not require it. THe Nissan Ester is only $12.29 pre quart. No I am not going to use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts