Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had our first snowfall wed/thurs and got to test out the JX. First and foremost the stock deullers leave something to be desired. I've had other all season tires that handled a bit better in the snow. Overall it handled pretty well. I know it's front wheel biased, but a quick jab at the throttle can get the rear wheels to spin as well. So the system seems to transfer power to the rear pretty quickly. Only hint of problem I had was reversing when in a rut. On side streets it can get swirly in certain situations, but I've noticed my wifes g35x was like that compared to my old subaru wrx. On the highway I noticed a slight issue for a couple mins. Maybe it was snow buliding up in the wheel wells, something getting frozen, or one of the drivers assistance intervening but when I tried to veer off the tracks created in the snow, I felt a resistance in the steering wheel. Turning off drivers assistance didn't seem to remedy the problem. Other than that it was pretty stable on snow covered highways.
I've driven fwd,rwd,awd with all season and winter tires. Tires make the world of a difference. Unfortunately there are no winters offered in the stock sizes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Did you see the thread I started about snow tire set ups, the alternative to 20"ers? http://www.infinitijxforum.com/show...here-you-live-you-really-should-consider-this

You noticed a jab at the throttle will get the wheels to spin. I hate that on all wheel drives, our Volvo and Subaru do that, they have to sense slip before kicking in the rears. One of the reasons I switched from a JX order to a Pathfinder order was the Pathfinder's 4 wheel drive mode, where all the wheels are always engaged, and you don't have to spin first to get the rears. It's that little spin that can be the point of no return on getting stuck or stopped on a climb.

It will be interesting to see what 20" tires come on the Mallfinder, not that it will matter for snow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saw your post. It's nice to see other people that are advocates for winter tires....regardless of whether you drive an awd car/suv/crossover. I've had winter and summer sets for all my cars for over the past 10yrs, whether they be FWD/RWD/AWD.
I'm not sure what year or model outback you had, but my 2003 wrx had a 50/50 split by default and I'm guessing yours is 50/50 or 45/55. So there is no need to detect spin in order for the rear to get power. From what I know Infiniti still hasn't released any specifics on the specs of the AWD system on the JX. Whether it be what the front to rear bias is, type of center diff, open/closed front/rear diffs. So there is no way to know what the front/rear splits are by default. The point of jabbing the throttle to get wheel spin is to visually see when the rear is getting power and in that case there was virtually no visual lag between the front spinning and the rear. My guess is that it's not 100% front biased. Getting gas here is still a problem so i didn't really get to test it out and really put it through it's paces.

Locking the center diff is a feature I would def like to have but wouldn't be a determining factor for me in choosing between the JX and Pathfinder. I think the reason they added a 4X4 lock mode is to cater to the "off road" mindset of past pathfinder owners. The problem with the new pathfinder isn't the off-road AWD capability, but the 6.5inches of ground clearance.

Did you see the thread I started about snow tire set ups, the alternative to 20"ers? http://www.infinitijxforum.com/show...here-you-live-you-really-should-consider-this

You noticed a jab at the throttle will get the wheels to spin. I hate that on all wheel drives, our Volvo and Subaru do that, they have to sense slip before kicking in the rears. One of the reasons I switched from a JX order to a Pathfinder order was the Pathfinder's 4 wheel drive mode, where all the wheels are always engaged, and you don't have to spin first to get the rears. It's that little spin that can be the point of no return on getting stuck or stopped on a climb.

It will be interesting to see what 20" tires come on the Mallfinder, not that it will matter for snow.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Our 05 Outback was an automatic, and they put electronic clutch lock ups with autos. Our 09 Outback is a 5 speed, and they use a viscous couplers with manuals. With either, it takes an initial slip for engagement.

Our Mallfinder won't be an off-roader. I saw that 6.5" in the literature and laughed. I think a standard curb is about 7". I hope the front air dam is a separate piece from the rest of the bumper facia so it will tear off by itself instead of ripping the front of the car off. Both the JX and Mallfinder have terrible approach angles, you know they are going to catch some time. I saw a close up of the Pathfinder 20" wheel, and it has the same Bridgestone tires as the 20" JXs.

And yeah, I like a good snow tire every now and then :)

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
What I learned from this post: Gibbons has a bad-ass garage, and I need to get/make a dolly to put under my extra set of wheels in the garage. I hate having to pick them up every time I need to move them somewhere.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Our 05 Outback was an automatic, and they put electronic clutch lock ups with autos. Our 09 Outback is a 5 speed, and they use a viscous couplers with manuals. With either, it takes an initial slip for engagement.

Our Mallfinder won't be an off-roader. I saw that 6.5" in the literature and laughed. I think a standard curb is about 7". I hope the front air dam is a separate piece from the rest of the bumper facia so it will tear off by itself instead of ripping the front of the car off. Both the JX and Mallfinder have terrible approach angles, you know they are going to catch some time. I saw a close up of the Pathfinder 20" wheel, and it has the same Bridgestone tires as the 20" JXs.

And yeah, I like a good snow tire every now and then :)

View attachment 279
Those tire dollys are amazing, i need something like that. But i heard it's bad to stack your tires like that since it puts a lot of load on the side wall of the 2 lowest tires. what are your thoughts about that?

·
Registered
248 Posts
My atomic tire dollies are actually just cheap wheel dollies I bought at one of those "tool blow outs" where a semi truck pulls up in a parking lot and sells a bunch of chinese stuff. I got them to maneuver our ski boat's tandem axle trailer around in a tight garage at a previous house. The pic shows a one of them being used for to keep a lever from binding. I put a piece of plywood on the top edges to keep them from cutting the sidewalls. I think you're not supposed to stack just tires, but with air in them to keep the sidewalls from squishing, I personally am not bothered by stacking them.

This picture may help explain my fascination with the Mallfinder vs the JX. I put a 5speed .64 over drive transmission in the Chevelle, but didn't like how combination with the 3.73:1 rear end gears worked with the motor's power band. So I put in 4.11:1 gears. In the pic I am tightening the crush sleeve on the pinion bearing to get 15 in*lb of resultant preload. I love mechanical stuff! I may be getting sucked in by the manufacturer's sales hype, but the Mallfinder's new generation CVT's stated benefits and the 4x4 lock mode sound highly entertaining to me :)

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

1 - 13 of 13 Posts