Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased out JX and would like to look into the USB option for the kids movies vs DVD, is it really worth the trouble of converting?
I read some of the other discussions and I already purchased the cable to use for my iphone but we really can only use that for Netflix so I'd like the dvd or usb options also. So some questions for anyone who uses it

1- How is the quality of the video?
2---What size usb drive do you have and about how many dvds can it hold?
3--Can you use the usb drive to watch a movie on one screen and a regular dvd for the other side?

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
There is software available on the net that allows you to convert DVD's to MPEG's so you can put them on your iPhone. It involves a couple of steps, but it is well worth it. I have several movies on my phone for the kids, and I keep a few DVD's in the console as well.

Once you have the movies converted to MPEG, save them on your computer, you can always change up your lineup on your phone to keep the kids happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, is there a specific one you use and like to convert? I'll have to try this out sounds like it could be helpful

There is software available on the net that allows you to convert DVD's to MPEG's so you can put them on your iPhone. It involves a couple of steps, but it is well worth it. I have several movies on my phone for the kids, and I keep a few DVD's in the console as well.

Once you have the movies converted to MPEG, save them on your computer, you can always change up your lineup on your phone to keep the kids happy.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks, is there a specific one you use and like to convert? I'll have to try this out sounds like it could be helpful
I first use "DVD Decrypter" (version 3.5.4.0) to write the DVD to my laptop. it is illegal, because it removes the copy write protection on DVD's, which allows you to "rip" the movie, however, this is not illegal if you already own the DVD, which is always the case for me, this is just a means of offering myself a sometimes more convenient way to watch movies, and it can be downloaded here: http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/

I then use "Handbrake" (version 0.9.5) to convert the DVD files to MPEG

From there you plug your phone in, go to iTunes, and add the movies to your library and sync!

Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
209 Posts
In the manual, page 4-21 or something, there is a guideline of what resolution you can save the files in .divx .avi or .asf . If you go over those resolutions, it's not playable.

If you already have a video file, but not direct from dvd, let's say home movies, you can convert it to one of those formats. I'm still trying to figure out why it doesn't play on mine though. Maybe it's because I'm using a portable Hard drive and not USB flash drive. But it reads the file structures and the file names, just it's an unplayable file.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1- How is the quality of the video?
--Like JXFan said, depends on the quality (240p, 360p, 720p, 1080p) you load onto your USB

2- What size usb drive do you have and about how many dvds can it hold?
--32GB Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive
--Again, depends on the quality you load (720p movies average about 2-4GB)

3- Can you use the usb drive to watch a movie on one screen and a regular dvd for the other side?
--I wish you could, but unfortunately no...I've tried. But technically, I'm sure you can...
--I've read that you can view different movies when using the Composite inputs and DVD but I haven't tried yet.

One downside to playing USB movies...it doesn't remember where you left off in the movie when you turn off your car so you must start back at the beginning each time. And trying to skip forward to that spot only causes the movie to hang up and stop...at least that what it did on mine. The plus-side obviously is that you can store all your movies there and not worry about having to carry/store multiple discs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
3. Yes you can. You can switch the input setting for the rear display under the settings. the left can go dvd while the right can go composite or usb. or vice versa.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thorin78...you were able to switch sources between the two screens? In particular, usb on left, dvd on right (vice versa)? Because when I do that both screens change to my selection and it won't let me choose different sources.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use dvdnextcopy ultimate. It asks you what format you want to copy to...I choose iphone, and it does the rest. No need to use multiple programs. It is also illegal unless you own the movies (which I do of course). You can also choose ipad or DVD or bluray etc. but for this purpose, I just pick iphone and it copies the movie perfectly in 10 min.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would like to know as well if you can use the DVD and USB at the same time. Mine won't let me. It will let me select F. Aux and R. Aux for L and R.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts