Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fill up at 1/4 tank, 1/2 tank, empty? I usually fill up every 1/2 tank, for some reason paying $35 twice feels better than paying $75 to fill up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We use regular gas. My dad, who is an oil and gas man, says it's just fine. that might help you some $$wise
We've tracked our gas mileage using premium and regular, both after filling up from near empty. We were getting about 5% less gas mileage with regular and the cost was about 5% less, so we decided it was a wash either way financially.

·
Registered
196 Posts
fill up at 1/4 tank, 1/2 tank, empty? I usually fill up every 1/2 tank, for some reason paying $35 twice feels better than paying $75 to fill up.
Here's how to improve gas mileage as far as filling the tank. Lowering the weight of the vehicle is a proven way to improve gas mileage. Do not fill until the car is almost empty, then only fill less than 5 gallons, so it always stays BELOW 1/4. You've avoided the extra weight of carrying around 3/4 or more tank of gas, so your mileage improves! ;-)

Going on a diet and losing 25 lbs also will help!

·
Registered
275 Posts
1 gallon of gas = 8.66 lb.
So a 3/4 of tank = 14.625 gallon
Now the math gets very complicated after that.
Would like to see how much the mileage gets affected with weight. Let us know if anyone tries it out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
+1 heard bout this for ages

Here's how to improve gas mileage as far as filling the tank. Lowering the weight of the vehicle is a proven way to improve gas mileage. Do not fill until the car is almost empty, then only fill less than 5 gallons, so it always stays BELOW 1/4. You've avoided the extra weight of carrying around 3/4 or more tank of gas, so your mileage improves! ;-)

Going on a diet and losing 25 lbs also will help!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Other things remaining same (which they never are - still for the sake of confusion)

2010 Nissan Altima - curb weight = 3295 lb mileage (highway) = 31 mpg
2013 Infiniti JX - curb weight = 4280 lb mileage (highway) = 23 mpg

I had stated 8.66lb for a gallon of fuel before. Let's use 6lb for now. 8lb seems to be the weight of water.
Assuming the mileages are purely on a full tank of gas.

Mileage expected / with a quarter gallon of gas in tank on JX = 23.89 mpg

Now someone test it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts