Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have summer and winter sets of wheels/tires for our Volvo XC70, Subaru Outback, and Ford F250 truck. But not our Chevelle which has never seen snow flake :rolleyes: No we don't drive on snow all winter, and in fact, we don't see deep snow or packed snow very often. But when we do, we are ready. With snow tires, you have much better control of your car to out-wit and out-last people who don't. Many times I have avoided accidents by being able to stop faster, and steer around mayhem happening in front of me.

Our Mallfinder will be here December 7th. The Platinum trim comes with 20" wheels and all-season tires. That's code for a compromise that's not particularly good at summer or winter. I will insist on snow tires for it, so I started looking around. I hate aftermarket wheels with the wrong offset and wrong center bore (non hubcentric), so I concentrated on Nissan wheels. I learned that the Murano uses 50mm offset with a 66.1mm center bore, just like the new Pathfinder and JX (cuz they're both based on the Murano platform). I started searching and found these 18" dealer take-offs on-line. They were $700 delivered to my door, dealer cost is $786 each for "new" ones. They were manufactured last May and are perfect. I checked on tires, and found 235/65-18 Blizzaks on sale with a rebate, I got 4 for $680. Now I need some tire pressure monitor sensors, and I am set. Oh, yeah, I need the car....

Some friends think it's expensive to have two sets of wheels. I point out that while the snows are on, the summer tires aren't, so they last twice as long. I think it's smart. If safety was part of the decision matrix for selecting your JX, consider the last detail of snow tires.

And I put this in the general section for those who may not browse the techy forum sections. Think of it as a public service announcement vs a technical discussion.

Property Furniture Automotive tire Automotive design Tread

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I have two sets of wheels for my SUV. Real snow tires are so much better in the snow. I've heard of all seasons being referred to as "no seasons" on other forums.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
We have summer and winter sets of wheels/tires for our Volvo XC70, Subaru Outback, and Ford F250 truck. But not our Chevelle which has never seen snow flake :rolleyes: No we don't drive on snow all winter, and in fact, we don't see deep snow or packed snow very often. But when we do, we are ready. With snow tires, you have much better control of your car to out-wit and out-last people who don't. Many times I have avoided accidents by being able to stop faster, and steer around mayhem happening in front of me.

Our Mallfinder will be here December 7th. The Platinum trim comes with 20" wheels and all-season tires. That's code for a compromise that's not particularly good at summer or winter. I will insist on snow tires for it, so I started looking around. I hate aftermarket wheels with the wrong offset and wrong center bore (non hubcentric), so I concentrated on Nissan wheels. I learned that the Murano uses 50mm offset with a 66.1mm center bore, just like the new Pathfinder and JX (cuz they're both based on the Murano platform). I started searching and found these 18" dealer take-offs on-line. They were $700 delivered to my door, dealer cost is $786 each for "new" ones. They were manufactured last May and are perfect. I checked on tires, and found 235/65-18 Blizzaks on sale with a rebate, I got 4 for $680. Now I need some tire pressure monitor sensors, and I am set. Oh, yeah, I need the car....

Some friends think it's expensive to have two sets of wheels. I point out that while the snows are on, the summer tires aren't, so they last twice as long. I think it's smart. If safety was part of the decision matrix for selecting your JX, consider the last detail of snow tires.

And I put this in the general section for those who may not browse the techy forum sections. Think of it as a public service announcement vs a technical discussion.

View attachment 276
Good scoop gibbons and thanks for the information. By the way, if you haven't seen the latest Nissan Pathfinder YouTube commercial, it shows your new baby driving in the snow. It does look like a great ride. It will be interesting to see if there are any differences this winter between the JX and Pathfinder in snow conditions. We'll have to put up a post so our members can report their findings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanusa/featured?v=Eovzc_X5meM

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gibbons...bit of a neat nut? :) Nice garage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We have already had some snow up here in Alberta, the car has handled just fine in freezing rain and about a foot of snow. I'm running the Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 on the factory 18" rims.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Good scoop gibbons and thanks for the information. By the way, if you haven't seen the latest Nissan Pathfinder YouTube commercial, it shows your new baby driving in the snow. It does look like a great ride. It will be interesting to see if there are any differences this winter between the JX and Pathfinder in snow conditions. We'll have to put up a post so our members can report their findings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanusa/featured?v=Eovzc_X5meM
I totally missed the garage shot. OK, you need to post some more pictures. From what I can see, I am impressed with your garage.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The best tires I have ever owned are Michelin Cross Terrains (and they fit the JX). Excellent in dry, wet and snow (living in Wisconsin).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cfrp, this is our garage just for parking cars. I researched codes, and found an eco-friendly and legal way to put drains in the floors. So in the winter, all the snow that comes in on the cars' undercarriages melts and goes down the drain. And I can wash cars with hose connected to taps under the sink cabinet. The floor coating keeps water from soaking into the concrete. I keep my fun stuff and tools in a detached we have in the back.

Property Door Wood Interior design Floor

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
cfrp, this is our garage just for parking cars. I researched codes, and found an eco-friendly and legal way to put drains in the floors. So in the winter, all the snow that comes in on the cars' undercarriages melts and goes down the drain. And I can wash cars with hose connected to taps under the sink cabinet. The floor coating keeps water from soaking into the concrete. I keep my fun stuff and tools in a detached we have in the back.

View attachment 282
That is one really nice and clean garage. I'd love to have floors like that in my garages and shop.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What kind of coating is on the floor? I'm having problems finding a durable garage floor coating.
I was just going to ask the same question. Gibbons the garage looks fantastic!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the compliments, but they should be directed to http://www.premiergarage.com/ I had those guys come in and turn-key the floor and cabinets 5 years ago. The floor is stunningly durable. It has no chips, scratches, or lift-off. After about a year, you see start to see where the tire marks are, so I just hose it down and sweep with a push broom to clean it, and good as new! I don't remember exactly how much it cost, but that's a good sign as I am completely satisfied. I only remember prices of things I got snorked on. I put Home Depot Rustoleum epoxy garage floor coating in our basement storage room and furnace room, and it absolutely is in a lower league. It's scratched to the concrete from sliding chairs around. I have some neighbors who liked my garage and decided on a do it yourself with the Rustoleum. Now they have a big mess as it's wearing through, and hot tires lift it off the floor.

My wife and I did the tile work with stuff from Home Depot. It was kinda fun for a couple of rookies.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the compliments, but they should be directed to http://www.premiergarage.com/ I had those guys come in and turn-key the floor and cabinets 5 years ago. The floor is stunningly durable. It has no chips, scratches, or lift-off. After about a year, you see start to see where the tire marks are, so I just hose it down and sweep with a push broom to clean it, and good as new! I don't remember exactly how much it cost, but that's a good sign as I am completely satisfied. I only remember prices of things I got snorked on. I put Home Depot Rustoleum epoxy garage floor coating in our basement storage room and furnace room, and it absolutely is in a lower league. It's scratched to the concrete from sliding chairs around. I have some neighbors who liked my garage and decided on a do it yourself with the Rustoleum. Now they have a big mess as it's wearing through, and hot tires lift it off the floor.

My wife and I did the tile work with stuff from Home Depot. It was kinda fun for a couple of rookies.
thanks a ton for that info, i always wanted to redo the floor of my garage but never knew how to go about it, and never bothered to look into it

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Thanks gibbons for the scoop. I think you saved me a bunch of work and frustration. I was planning on applying that stuff in the spring, but I think I'll pass on it.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
From what I've heard from others, prep is the typical downfall of garage floor coatings. Or I should say, lack of prep. If you prep the floor really well, things tend to hold up OK. If not, it flakes and peels.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yea I looked up doing it myself but it seems to be a big venture so I might just look to a professional to fix my garage floor. I tried to do the DIY home depot rustoleum. A year later it is all peeling off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts