Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I just got an Infiniti JX, was very excited, took my car in today for the "Ultracoat protection" application(I know. Not worth the money but worth it if you consider the wife's peace of mind). Drop it of, get the loaner, come back, then get a call from the dealer saying the trade in is not worth what they thought it was worth and that I should pay another 3000 or take my trade back. It seems they are willing to unwind the deal completely(at least over the phone) and say that I misrepresented my trade in. I told them it did not have any problems to my knowledge and that is true. Now they say it needs some expensive repairs(who knows), has been parked for a long time(not true), and has never been serviced by an authorized Jaguar dealer(not true, all services were always done at Jaguar dealerships). long story short, they say they will take the car back and I will get my trade back in the same condition I left it(probably true considering it has only been 3 days).
1. Is this even legal?
2. I read all these horror stories about dealerships screwing people over and would very much prefer not to be in one. With that in mind, what else can go wrong?
3. What kind of paperwork do I need to not get into any legal/financial trouble later(bank wants money, dealership still wants money etc)
4. Any other advice would be appreciated.

I did think about going to a lawyer but it is friday evening and I would rather not have this thing hanging over me any longer than I have to. I am going to the dealership soon and will update the post with the further adventures of my car buying attempt. If there are problems with the unwinding, or they try something else underhanded, I'll update with names...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok please don't take this as legal advise but here goes my view on the subject. Was it a lease or finance, don't think it matters but I like to ask. Once you sign that contract with the dealer and they agree to it and sign it also they should be bound by the contract. Its like you going to them and telling them that you don't like what you paid for the jx because you found out someone else paid less and you want money back for it. Dealer will tell you F*%$ off right. You should do the same. The vehicle is now registered under your name through the state and is legally yours. They can not keep it from you. I would go as far as borderline theft by dealership or exsortion (SP?). Not your fault that they messed up on trade in.

I would go in there and pick up the car and tell them to have a nice day. If they threaten to call the cops, let them. I know for a fact the cops will come and see the signed sales contract between you and the dealer and tell the dealer to give your car back. More of a civil matter with the dealership after that, unless the dealership doe not return your JX it becomes a criminal matter on the part of the dealership.
Once again not legal advise :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Everything they told you seems like typically used car salesman snake oil. It's sad to see that Infiniti allows its dealers to treat its customers like this.

Ben has it right, get your car and leave. Also log an issue call with Infiniti customer support.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Ok. I just got an Infiniti JX, was very excited, took my car in today for the "Ultracoat protection" application(I know. Not worth the money but worth it if you consider the wife's peace of mind). Drop it of, get the loaner, come back, then get a call from the dealer saying the trade in is not worth what they thought it was worth and that I should pay another 3000 or take my trade back. It seems they are willing to unwind the deal completely(at least over the phone) and say that I misrepresented my trade in. I told them it did not have any problems to my knowledge and that is true. Now they say it needs some expensive repairs(who knows), has been parked for a long time(not true), and has never been serviced by an authorized Jaguar dealer(not true, all services were always done at Jaguar dealerships). long story short, they say they will take the car back and I will get my trade back in the same condition I left it(probably true considering it has only been 3 days).
1. Is this even legal?
2. I read all these horror stories about dealerships screwing people over and would very much prefer not to be in one. With that in mind, what else can go wrong?
3. What kind of paperwork do I need to not get into any legal/financial trouble later(bank wants money, dealership still wants money etc)
4. Any other advice would be appreciated.

I did think about going to a lawyer but it is friday evening and I would rather not have this thing hanging over me any longer than I have to. I am going to the dealership soon and will update the post with the further adventures of my car buying attempt. If there are problems with the unwinding, or they try something else underhanded, I'll update with names...
Wow, is all I can say!! I agree with Ben. They had their chance to look over your trade in when you brought it in before you signed your papers. They sure wouldn't let you back out of the contract! Makes me wonder if they got an offer for more money for the JX?? Stand your ground on this one and once you have your car in hand, I would report them and never go back their again for anything. I'd never trust what they might do to your car! Good luck and let us know what happens. Love to know the name of the dealership to steer clear of!

·
Registered
118 Posts
WOW, I totally agree, go get your JX back and tell them to screw off! If the contract is signed and completed its yours plain and simple! Let us know what happens!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Never have heard of something so crazy. If the contracts are signed the care is yours. I would call Infiniti corporate and tell them the story. I'm sure this is not the reputation they want their dealers to have. May want to consider mentioning this to the local news, they generally have a consumer reporter who would probably love this story.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I'm back after 3 hours at the dealership yesterday. So much fun!!!/s. They rewrote the contract to give me the same monthly payment(and same number of months) by giving me less for the trade in and giving me a better deal on what I had already agreed to pay. The finance person that I dealt with seemed genuinely helpful yet the whole process left a bad taste in my mouth. Since I am paying the same amount, I dont feel as violated as I initially did. I'm not really sure how to feel about this.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Boy, I would sure question the legality of rewriting the contract. Glad at least the financial worked out about the same for you but the whole thing smells of three day old fish to me and I would sure not go to that dealer again for anything!

·
Registered
53 Posts
So on paper it looks as if they gave you 3000 off what you already agreed to pay but decreased the amount that your trade is listed for. Still doesn't make much sense why they would go to all this hassle if their net from you is the same. I still think I would let Infinit corporate know what happened. I think you should still post dealers name because I wouldn't want to deal with them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So on paper it looks as if they gave you 3000 off what you already agreed to pay but decreased the amount that your trade is listed for. Still doesn't make much sense why they would go to all this hassle if their net from you is the same. I still think I would let Infinit corporate know what happened. I think you should still post dealers name because I wouldn't want to deal with them.
I agree. It makes no sense. Decreasing the trade-in value and then giving you the same amount off on the car makes no difference to the dealership. Why even make you go through such hassle??? These things give car dealerships such a bad rep.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So this sounds like it's a leased vehicle? Without looking at the contract and everything like that it's hard to say who made out in this deal. Since you still make the same monthly payment for the same amount of months you didn't lose out in this deal unless you decide to purchase the vehicle at the end of lease. That’s ssuming that you’re leasing.

If you financed the vehicle did they increase your interest rate? If they did that’s how they would make some of their money back on the back end of this deal, plus the extra money they make from selling your trade-in. I say this because your still making the same monthly payment and for the same amount of months. If they lowered your purchase price your monthly should have lowered.

I’m just guessing at this, I might be completely wrong and it all works out. If you feel iffy about it. Calculate the numbers with a website like cars.com they have a section that lets you punch the numbers between lease and finance. Compare your old contract to the new one. All this might be pointless now since you signed the new contract.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree. It makes no sense. Decreasing the trade-in value and then giving you the same amount off on the car makes no difference to the dealership. Why even make you go through such hassle??? These things give car dealerships such a bad rep.
The person I dealt with was the finance manager and he was the person I dealt with during the initial transaction. His explanation is that it was his responsibility that he overpaid for the trade and would give me money from his department(finance) by giving me a better interest rate and discount on the extras I bought and have the trade in valued lower so he would not get grief from the used car department who have to now sell the used car. Does not make much sense to me either but I am unable to come up with a better explanation so I'll accept his explanation. My financials did not change(except for my wasted time and heartburn) so I am satisfied with the outcome.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
At least you got a solution out of it. BTW what is the clear protectant that you were getting? What does it do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
At least you got a solution out of it. BTW what is the clear protectant that you were getting? What does it do?
Supposedly it protects the outside paint from swirling, bird dropping damage, etc and more importantly, it protects and warranties the interior leather from any damage by"fluid normally consumed by humans", crayons, etc(I have a 4 and a 2 year old). I understand it is probably cheaper to do it yourself with a 3M coating material but it gave my wife some peace of mind so I paid for it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you are having an issue with a dealer, you can contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs at their main toll free number or online via their website. I recently did so when I got a nasty email from my salesman after a gave unsatisfactory feedback on Infiniti's survey after the JX purchase. I was just being honest on how I felt I was being treated. I forwarded that email from the salesman to Infiniti Consumer Affairs and they were appalled by it and made >$1000 amends to me for it to keep me as an Infiniti customer.

Your dealer coming back to you asking for more money definitely is not called for and I would have demanded my JX back and not agreed to any change in the paperwork. You spent many extra hours there. Did they compensate you for your time? I would contact Infiniti about the whole thing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thats so ridiculous! If they would have done something they would have already. Thats why they are contacting you for your consent. Just say no. Contacts or agreements already have been signed. So they cant do anything. You can report them to the car dealership organization and theyll be at risk of shutting down and having their license removed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts