Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We haven't bought yet, I am still studying. One thing that kinda surprises me is the apparent lack of automatic daytime running lights. I'm talking about headlights (or other forward facing lights) that come on when the car is started, and switch to full lights (including side and rear) when it starts to get dark. Am I missing something in my research (including the owner's manual that I have downloaded)?

·
Registered
289 Posts
No, this is not correct. Fog lihgt will not be on by its own. It will be only on when the headlihgt is on. YOu can't use the fog lihgt as DRL. The US models has no DRL, period. I personally don't think it is a safety issue or anytihng. If you want,you can always turn on the headlight. But hose LED DRL in some other modles looks really cool.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The lack of daytime running lights for US models seems to be a Nissan preference. I remember when we had our Armada, someone on one of those forums wrote Nissan's customer care to ask why. Their answer was paraphrased as "you can turn them on if you want, but we wanted the driver to have the option."

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
We've had a 2006 Murano, a 2010 Armada, now have a 2012 Rogue and by Friday, the JX. None have daytime running lights, but I do understand they are on the Canadian models. I am surprised since we've had it on older vehicles like our 97 Savana van. We are so used to turning on the headlights as soon as we get in any vehicle now. I do wish Nissan would add this feature and with LEDs, there would never be a problem with the lights burning out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can confirm that the Canadian Model does have the daytime running lights and the fog lights can be turned on without the headlights being on.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Because there are no laws in the US requiring DRL and there is no sufficient evidence to suggest that DRL will reduce accident. It may be true for motorsycles cause they are small and hard to see, but for cars, it did not add too much to being seen. On the other hand, the turn signals on side mirrows are indeed helpful and there should be a law for that. What I heard is that Obama is considering to require back up camera in every car in the future, why not to have around view, then? it is much better than just back up cameras.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So, what the heck are all those little bulbs that form a ring around the main headlight bulb? I haven't found any setting that activates those. Lemme guess...those are the DRL's, but my U.S. unit doesn't have any switching for them?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's precisely right, the little rhinestone looking jewels around the reflector lens are just decorations. Buzz Lightyear to the rescue! The Infiniti rep confirmed that to my salesman when I asked for an answer on what the heck they are. Our Volvo XC70 has bixenon night lights, but round halogen lights to the inside of them that come on automatically during the day. Without as much concern for dazzle with the brighter daytime ambient light, they don't hold back on the lens fluting to make them look very prominent. I can spot the car coming a long way away. I like it, I personally feel safer with them. I've heard there is no evidence that high mount center stop lights reduce accidents. Yeah, right....

I initially thought LED DRLs were interesting. Then Audi started doing the curvy ones that look like Snidely Whiplash's mustache (Snidely was Bullwinkle Moose's nemesis). Now I see LED DRLs in Kias. So the exclusivity is gone. And you can buy generic kits on ebay to add to your car, kinda like punks who put in the blue glass light bulbs trying to imitate the violet off axis optics of an HID bulb behind a projector lens. It comes off dumb, the add on LEDs would look as cheesy. Remember the fake cell phone antennas you could get at K-Mart to stick on your car window to make people think you were cool enough to have a cell phone, but you really didn't? Just give me some good old fashioned bright DRLs, thank you...

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah, Canadian model has Daytime Running Light as its the regulation here.
But now you guys talking about it and how it's NOT on the US model, that explains why in our Canadian model that the DRL is actually the fog light. I was wondering why the fog light is on as DRL rather than some bulbs in the main headlamp assembly, but now apparently it is because the DRL is probably not in the design of the car, and therefore they override the fog light to use it as DRL in Canada.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have headlights in auto position, and fog lights in on position, then the lights come on when car is started. Same as in my M, would imagine the rest of the lineup is also the same...

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you have headlights in auto position, and fog lights in on position, then the lights come on when car is started. Same as in my M, would imagine the rest of the lineup is also the same...
Yea, but that's not a DRL. You're just turning on the headlight the entire time (since fog lights can't be on w/out the headlights being on, at least in the US version).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yea, but that's not a DRL. You're just turning on the headlight the entire time (since fog lights can't be on w/out the headlights being on, at least in the US version).
This module may be what you are looking for, it says you can control the fogs independently.. Not sure if it will work though.

http://www.kptechnologies.com/products.php#/12

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok Im confused now.....my lights set to auto and stay on constantly, even during bright sunlight. Does this matter what setting the fog lights are in?
Yes. If you have the fog lights set to "on", the headlights will come on during the daylight. Basically, the fog lights can't be turned on by themselves on the US version.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts