Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/day-by-day-review-2013-infiniti-jx35/4

Day 1

Infiniti’s all-new, seven-seater, luxury SUV is the subject of my attention this week — in a deep purple that would, I’m sure, please the Barney-loving little ones (is Barney even still around?). The colour is not so important, but the fact that this vehicle is bringing a new set of customers into Infiniti showrooms is.

According to our local Infiniti dealer, families that would have never considered Infiniti before are flocking to see what this JX35 has to offer, and with a starting price of just $44,900, he feels loaded Murano sales will suffer.

Of course, my tester is nowhere near that $44,900 price point. With the addition of the Premium Package ($5,000), Theatre Package ($2,300), Deluxe Touring Package ($2,700) and Technology Package ($3,500) my tester tops out at $58,400, although with all the features included in this vehicle it may very well be worth it.

Some of those features include hard-drive-based navigation system, Bluetooth wireless, outside mirrors with reverse tilt-down, maple interior accents, dual seven-inch colour monitors for multimedia playback, wireless headphones, second- and third-row moonroof with power rear sunshade, climate-controlled front seats, heated second-row seats, Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Intervention and lots lots lots more.

The Infiniti JX35 is powered by Nissan/Infiniti’s proven 3.5-litre VQ35 engine that produces 265 horsepower and 248 lb-ft of torque and is mated to a continuously variable transmission with manual shift mode.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Day 2

Infiniti interiors are mostly all the same — they like to keep the look consistent across the brand. This is either a good thing, if you like them, or a not-so-good thing if you do not. For me, Infiniti interiors are intuitively laid out, easy on the eyes, and they feel well put together.

Considering the number of electronic toys and buttons in this vehicle, it succeeds at not overwhelming with buttons and controls. Once you get comfortable in the driver’s seat, though, all the buttons and controls fade into the background as you enjoy the comfortable driving position that is your reward.

But a family vehicle like the JX is not all about the front seating. The second and third rows need to be comfortable, and more importantly (especially for the third row), they need to be accessible. The second row of seats are movable fore and aft, and when in the aft-most position, legroom is plentiful, but I found headroom a little tight in both rows; this could be due to the large sunroof overhead.

Climbing into the third row is a breeze as the middle seats flip and slide forward with the flick of a lever and a little bit of gumption — you do need two hands to don this, I found. Once you climb back there — which I found easy to do even as an adult — leg room is adequate as long as the second row residents give up a little real estate as well. I was able to find a good compromise of sufficient space in both rows fairly easily.

The only real complaint is the lack of visibility out the rear of the vehicle, especially with the 3rd row headrests in the upright position. In this case, rear visibility is basically eliminated. Thankfully, reverse cameras, blind spot systems, lane departure warnings, side traffic alerts and reverse cameras are there to save the day.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day 3

The JX offers families exactly what they want: a quiet, comfortable, drama-free ride, and it delivers that effortlessly. The 3.5-litre V6 has enough grunt that passing, accelerating and cruising do not cause the JX to break a sweat. The CVT transmission — although to some may be a turn-off — works really well in this application.

I have found what seems to be a first model glitch — when setting the cruise control, the engine speed climbs an additional 500 rpm from what it was before the cruise was set. I tried it at varying speeds and the results were the same; I manually shifted the transmission into sixth gear, the revs dropped back to the previous cruising speed, and things were fine — odd.

Aside from that, though, so far so good. The suspension is very compliant on rough roads, compared to the way many seven-seaters tend to bounce around.

Wind noise and road noise are basically nil and the V6 makes a pleasing sound when you lean on it. Around town, the JX does feel large, although the steering is light and, surprisingly, the turning radius is reasonable. But it is difficult to see the corners of the JX, which makes the electronic gizmos a saviour.

The 360-degree camera views and blind spot helpers aid in reversing and even forward parking as they allow you to line up the vehicle in a parking spot. And though I dislike relying upon the safety nannies, I feel the JX requires them for 100 percent confidence in tight spots.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day 4

Not all cars can be super exciting, and not everyone wants a super exciting car. The Infiniti JX does what it is supposed to do, and that is carry a family in comfort and in style without much fuss. I have a feeling (some) minivan-shopping customers may head to Infiniti showrooms to see if this JX can be the solution to family vehicle boredom, as it does offer a considerable amount of utility and space without the minivan stigma.

As far as fuel consumption goes, this all-wheel drive seven seater averaged a very respectable 11.3L/100km for me over the course of the week — although I was hoping for a little better on the highway, it averaged around the same at 120km/h. I seem to like to end the week with a complaint as I always find a few niggles over the course of a weekend, and this week’s “annoyance” is the navigation screen that does not turn off. Even when you select “off,” it remains lit rather brightly with a clock in the corner — what happened to the signature Infiniti analog clock on the dash?

But hey, if that is my only complaint about a seven-passenger crossover I say it is doing rather well. If you are in the market to spend more than $50,000, you would be silly not to take a gander at this family hauler.

*Rating out of 5:

2013 Infiniti JX

Acceleration

Handling

Comfort

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interior

Audio System

Gas Mileage