Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are people's impression of CVT in the JX, would appreciate if current owners and people who have test driven the JX could comment.
My impressions based on a 10-min test-drive: Accelerated differently, have to say it was smoother than an automatic, but, did exhibit a pronounced hum during normal acceleration, not sure if this is CVT in action (I have never owned a CVT based vehicle).

Did some research found some notable manufacturers have adopted CVT for fuel economy reasons:
examples:
Audi (A4 T, A6 2.0T), Lexus (hybrids: RX400h Lexus GS450H) Suburu (Outback) and of course Nissan (majority of the models including the Maxima!)
Heres an interesting read:
http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/the-cvt-nissans-answer-to-fuel-efficiency-cga.htm

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ahhh the CVT... This was a big issue for me with this vehicle, as I almost passed it up because of the CVT. I had a 2007 Altima that used the CVT and I HATED it! The Altima's CVT just behaved oddly, and every time I took my foot off of the gas it would almost feel like the car was engine braking and slowing down, it drove me nuts. Now, onto the JX....

It's different... way different than a traditional transmission and much different than the Altima that I owned. The goal of the CVT is to find the sweet spot for accelleration and keep it there, and then, once up to speed, keep the RMP as low as possible to save gas. With that in mind, accelerating kind of reminds me of a jet taking off..... Getting on the highway, the RPM heads quickly to 5k-6k and stays there until you're up to speed. There is a remarkable engine note that comes with the RPM in that range, eventually you get used to it. It is significantly smoother than a traditional transmission, but, because it keeps RPM's high, it results in a louder experience. I've only had the car for 10 days and have put 600 miles on it, so I can't say whether I prefer it to a traditional transmission or not. I do think, however, that initial acceleration is hampered by the CVT as it takes about 1-1.5 seconds from flooring the gas pedal to max acceleration. It's like the computer is debating whether or not you mean to floor it..... That said, the JX isn't a sports car, and I've never felt that it's underpowered with a CVT. I am curious why Infiniti did not go with the new Xtronic CVT they are touting on the 2013 Altima.... It states a 15% improvement on fuel economy. If that's the case, why was it not included in the JX?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Best way to find out if it is best for you is to test drive one. Everyone will have different opinions based off what they are comparing it to.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Test drove the JX again yesterday to experience CVT in action one more time. It is smooth as butter!, although the fixation at high rpm during acceleration was unsettling at first but is growing on me now.
Did a mix of highway and country roads with lots of hills -- JX handled them wonderfully and CVT worked great..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts