Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to do a post about how much I love the cruise control. For every other car that I have owned I have hated cruise control as for my driving style (I will classify it as "moderately aggressive") It is too much accelerating and braking to be effective. This is why I love the adaptive cruise control in my JX. I drove a little over 60 miles out to an appointment on the PA turnpike and only had to hit the breaks 4 times. Twice was because I was cut off by other drivers (and it was my reflex to brake before finding out if the system would brake). I set the cruise control on 77 mph and when I approached a slower car, the JX applied the brakes and then accelerated back to my set speed when the road opened up.

On my way home (same 60 mile stretch), I only had to apply the brakes twice. Also I feel (but have not researched) that in a tighter turn that the brakes are applied as well. The cruise control is a nice added bonus for my JX.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I just had to do a post about how much I love the cruise control. For every other car that I have owned I have hated cruise control as for my driving style (I will classify it as "moderately aggressive") It is too much accelerating and braking to be effective. This is why I love the adaptive cruise control in my JX. I drove a little over 60 miles out to an appointment on the PA turnpike and only had to hit the breaks 4 times. Twice was because I was cut off by other drivers (and it was my reflex to brake before finding out if the system would brake). I set the cruise control on 77 mph and when I approached a slower car, the JX applied the brakes and then accelerated back to my set speed when the road opened up.

On my way home (same 60 mile stretch), I only had to apply the brakes twice. Also I feel (but have not researched) that in a tighter turn that the brakes are applied as well. The cruise control is a nice added bonus for my JX.
This was the one feature I wanted but knew they wouldn't put it on the Pathfinder. Once you've experienced it, you never want to go back.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Also I feel (but have not researched) that in a tighter turn that the brakes are applied as well.
In a way, they are. The Driver's Assistance feature called Active Trace Control in essence applies some brake force to the inside wheels in a turn to make turns smoother and easier. It is more active on a tight, winding road, but I suspect it comes into play at freeway speeds as well.

Here's Infiniti's official description of ATC:

Active Trace Control

Active Trace Control helps enhance steering response and cornering feel by using the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) system to selectively apply brake pressure. When cornering, the system helps enhance the transition from braking to accelerating by applying brake pressure to increase the load on the front wheels. In side-to-side turns and other steering maneuvers, it engages the brakes on the inside of the turn to help turn the vehicle.

Active Trace Control is engaged automatically, whether the driver is applying the brakes or not. When Sport mode is engaged, the level of Active Trace Control assistance is reduced.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The ICC w/ the other 3 safety enhancements are really nice in traffic as the car will slow all the way down even if it's set at like 70mph. The thing I don't like is that there's no indication that it's slowing other than me looking at the speedo. It flashes if I speed past the set marker, but won't do anything to indicate slowing. I wish it would turn red or something to tell me it's slowing. Also does anyone know if the ICC always use the brakes? or does it let the car slow down naturally unless force is needed?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love it too, but notice that other (aggressive) drivers will squeeze into that buffer zone between me and the car in front, causing me to slowly move to the back of the line when I'm in a line in the left lane and trying to pass a slower truck (for example) on the right. I just occasionally have to manually close the gap to cut off annoying drivers from squeezing in to avoid the sudden braking and slowly being moved back. Seriously, what compels the drivers behind me to whip around me on the right into the open buffer to get one single car further ahead? There's still a line in front of them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love it too... Best cruise control I've had on a car to date. Kind of like the old Popiel Showtime Rotisserie commercials... "you set it, and forget it."

·
Registered
13 Posts
The ICC w/ the other 3 safety enhancements are really nice in traffic as the car will slow all the way down even if it's set at like 70mph. The thing I don't like is that there's no indication that it's slowing other than me looking at the speedo. It flashes if I speed past the set marker, but won't do anything to indicate slowing. I wish it would turn red or something to tell me it's slowing. Also does anyone know if the ICC always use the brakes? or does it let the car slow down naturally unless force is needed?

Exactly, I like to cruise at 118kmph. If the cruise speed marker turns red or something to tell me that my car is going slower than 118kmph I would rather change the lane to maintain 118kmph. But it doesn't, so I have watch speedometer closely to tell if I am under my set speed or not.

Also when ICC slows the car down, does the rear brake light comes on to warn other drivers that car is slowing down?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Exactly, I like to cruise at 118kmph. If the cruise speed marker turns red or something to tell me that my car is going slower than 118kmph I would rather change the lane to maintain 118kmph. But it doesn't, so I have watch speedometer closely to tell if I am under my set speed or not.

Also when ICC slows the car down, does the rear brake light comes on to warn other drivers that car is slowing down?
If you can feel the brake rather than the car gradually slowing down, then yes the brake lights come on. I saw this out the side mirrors one night while cruising. But I'm thinking the car actually will also use its own weight to slow down as i'ts matching the speed of another car depending on how close it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
just a heads up guys. this is a nice feature, just be care not damaging or bump to anything on r/f bumper area. that where they put the radar. and this will an expensive repair.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts