Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A rock hit my windshield as I was getting onto the freeway the other night. The next morning, my windshield had a two foot wide horizontal crack. I had my previous car for 11 years and while I had plenty of rocks hit my windshield, it never resulted in any cracks. Anyway, I called around to get estimates on replacing my windshield and it's going to end up costing around $1000 (for parts and labor). Has anyone else gone through a windshield repair yet? Does the price sound right?

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Someone noted that there currently isn't an aftermarket windshield out yet. Your insurance should cover it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a $500 deductible so I ended up paying that instead of the $1000. It's been really hot here for the past week so the heat made the crack worse. Interestingly, I don't have the lane departure warning or rain sensor wipers on my car. If I did, the windshield wouldn't have been more expensive (if I didn't use my insurance that is).

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Amazingly, a HUGE rock hit my windshield today on the passenger side and left a decent scratch, but no crack.
I heard a rock hit mine last week and didn't notice any chips or cracks. Today I noticed a 7" scratch in the area of the rock hit. I've never had a windshield with a scratch, just chips. It isn't very obvious to the naked eye. I'm wondering if the angle of the windshield is helping to deflect rocks, etc?

·
Registered
1 Posts
A very small mark at the bottom of the windshied...must have been a rock while driving. I didn't notice it when driving when it hit, but now, I have a 1 foot crack working its way up the middle of the windshield.

Are the windshields going to break that easy???

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I've had at least one rock hit the windshield and so far, no cracks. I just replaced a windshield on our van and wouldn't you know it, the first time on the road a rock hits and chips it. Its enough to piss off the Pope!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It is annoying when you get a chip on the glass.

Almost as annoying as chips on the paint.

Manufacturers need to use some uber hard glass and paint for the front of cars..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got all sorts of little pits and one small chip. About to take a road trip and will see if I pick up anymore chips before I get it repaired. I have never had a car with such soft glass.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a rock hit my windshield within the first 75 miles. It sounded like a gun shot and I was certain there would be a crack. But upon inspection there was barly a mark. Got lucky!

I hate to even post this, I feel like I'm jinxing myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
windsheild quality is poor. I had to replace mine with in 3 days of delivery and ended up paying $495 from my pocket. i do not have a rain sesing wipers. otherwise it would have costed even more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Alas, we were driving on the interstate to dinner last weekend with friends and in the midst of our conversation I heard the distinctive sound of a projectile hitting the windshield but could not see a mark on it. However, when we got in the JX after dinner to drive home, there was a foot-long crack on the driver's side. The object apparently hit on the very edge of the driver's side. I had to take the JX to the shop on Monday (that's another post) and when I got it back yesterday, the crack had increased to about 24". Thank goodness I opted for the $0 deductible glass option when we recently switched to Progressive! I thought this might just be an unfortunate fluke but now I'm not so sure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts