Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I got my windshield chipped TWICE, I have not had it inspected yet. My question is should I replace it or have is "fixed" with polymer? Is factory seal really that important or more insurance sell tactic myth? If I were to replace it should I ask the Dealer or Insurance to recommend who can perform this job?

Thanks,
J. Bustillos

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
You probably don't have a lot of miles on the car, so your windshield therefore probably isn't very pitted yet. The repairs they do with epoxy/polymer are pretty good. If the chips are right in your line of sight as the driver, you may still find the repair distracting. But if it isn't right in your area of vision, the repair should be fine. Most insurance companies will repair a small chip for free - while you have to pay your deductible for a replacement.

I find that when I have 40-50K+ miles on my car and the windshield gets chipped, then I want it replaced because by then the whole thing is all pitted from stuff flying up. If the chips are smaller than a quarter, get it repaired. If bigger, they're going to spread and you'll need to replace the windshield.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dealerships do not replace windshields. They will call in glass guys to replace it. Also insurance companies will not pay for OEM glass if after market glass is available

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sorry, what a bummer! Doing the glass is easy. Not hacking up the molding trim and paint is the hard part. Our Volvo XC70 got a royal chip in the first month. I didn't want some monkey messing with my new car, and did the poly trick. 9 years later, I still have the same glass. I doubt any of the chinese companies have had a chance to clone the JX glass yet.

·
Registered
321 Posts
False...depends on the insurance company (i.e. Allstate, Mecury, State Farm, etc.). I have had to replace the windshield on an Acura, BMW, Infiniti, etc. and upon my request, received OEM vs. aftermarket. You have to insist on it though!

Dealerships do not replace windshields. They will call in glass guys to replace it. Also insurance companies will not pay for OEM glass if after market glass is available

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cost of a new windshield for the JX35 from the Dealership would cost me $1050 and a lead time of 70 days!! We just went to Glass Doctor and filled the cracks for $55, I'll post a picture of the before and after.... Also it was recommended that if I wanted to replace the windshield to wait, since it a new model prices are up and only Infiniti has them.. Prices should go down in the future (dont know how true this could be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope this is not a trend because I have a cracked glass also in my JX35. I have only had the Vehicle for two months. It seem to crack easily. I have never seen a windshield crack or pit so fast.There are several small nicks and one large (smaller than a dime) with the larger one being on the drivers side. In all I would say there are about 15 small pits on the windshiled.Kinda pissed me off.I chose to have it replaced because I am not ready for aftermarket equipment just yet and I can't deal with all of those pits.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got a two foot crack on my windshield today. Looks like this thing cracks easy. I hope there are some good after market ones. The windshield also seems thinner than the one on my car.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I got a two foot crack on my windshield today. Looks like this thing cracks easy. I hope there are some good after market ones. The windshield also seems thinner than the one on my car.
Ouch! Did it start with a small chip or did something else happen? Thats a nasty crack!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got pits on my windshield already too. Only 4K miles combined city and highway where the highway I travel doesn't even allow commercial size trucks or buses. This glass seems soft.

·
Registered
31 Posts
False...depends on the insurance company (i.e. Allstate, Mecury, State Farm, etc.). I have had to replace the windshield on an Acura, BMW, Infiniti, etc. and upon my request, received OEM vs. aftermarket. You have to insist on it though!
Depends on the state too. I heard in FL they will replace it if they can't fix it. But in WA for example, you use your comprehensive deductible.

I replaced 2 windshields on my old Infiniti cars in the past. Insisted on OEM, still got aftermarket. They could give me OEM, I would just have to pay the diff. It is the same glass actually made by the same company, just branded differently, so whatever. It will get cracked and chipped in few months anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
From small pit to huge crack

I got a small pit in my windshield after only about 2k miles. This pit quickly spread into a crack covering 3/4 of the windshield. Had the glass replaced and the windshield repair guy said he's replaced windshields on several JX35s. I live in Northern California and the car hasn't been subject to any big temperature fluctuations, so I was surprised at how severe the crack became so quickly. I have a mercedes with 2-3 pits in it that have never spread over the course of a couple years.

I'm hoping the replacement aftermarket glass performs better and this is not a more serious defect with the car itself and not just weak glass. I'll post an update if I get another crack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts