Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a link to Motor Trend's first impressions of the Pathfinder. Down below on the page are a bunch of photos with some of the interior. Look them over, and tell me what the JX has that the Pathfinder doesn't. Just curious how y'all see it. I know there are some who are offended that they are so closely related. Someone said Pathfinder owners would justify them by telling others that "They're almost like a JX" (implying they couldn't quite make the payments for a JX). My son said the JX is a rebadged Pathfinder. Half full, half empty.

I know the JX has a bunch more safety stuff, but I figure driving between the lines and stopping for obstacles is what brains are for. And there's going to be more sound insulation, so the JX will be better on NHV. But I dunno, the Pathfinder's newer generation CVT is supposed to be smoother and quieter...

EDIT: I was talking about better in the interior. I know the JX has HIDs and LEDs on the outside.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read all the threads, which seemed to be based largely on conjecture before the facts came out. NOW, look at the pics of the real deal. Does anyone see anything in the Pathfinder that's fundamentally different? Yeah, the JX has a swirly tuck pattern on the leather seating areas, and the shapes of the components are a little different (console etc), but is that better? In the Pathfinder interior, you can get heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, panorama roof, and all the same premium items.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know, It's hard to tell if I am not sitting in the JX. At this point, yes, the two are very similar. We bought the name. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
There are subtle differences, but most of all you are paying for the technology. For too many years my wife and I settled for cars that weren't fully loaded. Now that we have had the JX for several months, I'm glad we purchased a top of the line car. Knowing what I know now regarding the new Pathfinder and JX, I'd still go with the JX. My recommendation for those on the fence is to wait for the Pathfinder to come out and take a long test drive in both fully loaded models and see if the diffence in price is worth it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm waffling on my JX order. It's not the money, my wrist watch is worth more than what the difference will be. The Pathfinder has some interesting features, like the locking real 4x4. We actually use the traction features on our cars. Climbing slick inclines, AWD is nice, but it's not 4x4. With AWD, if the front wheels slip, the rears engage. Fine. Then a few seconds later, when the all 4 are going the same speed, the control systems think the AWD isn't needed any more, and shifts the rear wheels off. Spin and repeat, hoping you don't lose traction all together. 4x4 keeps the traction constant. THAT's a big safety feature for me! Our F250 locks, our XC70 and Outback don't. Why in the heck didn't they put that in the JX?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think the JX has a more elegant and refined look than the Pathfinder. I prefer the front grille and headlights on the JX than the Pathfinder. The rear window on the Pathfinder looks more like a Murano than a JX. It's hard to tell from the pictures and video, but it looks like the interior of the Pathfinder isn't as nice as the JX. I bet the JX has better quality leather and finish than the Pathfinder. My only disappointment with the JX is that it should have had the new CVT technology.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If the main advantage to getting a JX are the nanny features. There are only a couple of configurations for which you can make that argument. I guess anyone who goes for the basic or the ones with the touring, etc would be better off getting a pathfinder?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I stand by my previous statements. Just from the pictures, you can tell a difference in the quality of the interior components. The wood, whether real or not, looks very plastic-y. The leather isn't the same quality as in the JX. Come back in 3 years and compare a JX and Pathfinder with similar mileage/use and tell me which looks more worn. More than anything, you're paying for the extra year of warranty, a higher level of service at the dealer including loaners, Infiniti Connect, etc.

The other significant difference: people are going to hate the new Pathfinder. Did you read any of the comments at the bottom of that blog? It's no longer the rugged off-road vehicle people embraced for so many years. It's become a cross between a wagon and a mini-van. In JX form, it's a little more acceptable. Most people spending $50k on a vehicle aren't going to take it mudding or through thick brush. A much larger percentage of those buying Pathfinders might...at least in previous form.

It comes down to personal preference. Since the JX is my wife's primary vehicle, she's 100% into the plusher seats, advanced technology, and the Infiniti treatment at the dealer. If it was my daily driver, I'd take a hard look at the Pathfinder. I like the selectable 4WD modes, the JX-like layout inside, and especially the signficant difference in price. I guess that's why they're making both.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you look at Nissan's website, they have a lot of info up there now. While the base price is listed at $28k, that's a bare-bones Pathfinder. Currently the difference between a 2012 base and loaded Pathfinder is $14.5k. While the 2013 won't have an engine choice like the 2012 does, you're still adding things that aren't currently available. The way Nissan is packaging options now, I'd guess the difference between a base 2013 Pathfinder and a completely loaded one would be at least $15k.

In other words, expect to pay $45k for a fully loaded Pathfinder that you'd say was comparable to the JX. Then consider the difference in warranty, service, materials, and other differences listed above and in the other threads. That's what you get in the JX.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nissan will need to be smart about the pricing for a fully loaded Pathfinder. I’d be surprised if it were $45k. A fully loaded Pathfinder is going to be very similar (in features) to a JX with Premium Package (which has MSRP around $46k). If the pricing for a fully loaded Pathfinder gets anywhere close to that, I think a lot of those shoppers will opt for the JX with Prem package.

People who are set on a luxury model will typically not downgrade to a non-luxury brand. But I think non-luxury buyers can be convinced to go the luxury route.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A ”loaded” Platinum Pathfinder comes with tow, real roof rails, 20”ers, cooled seats, ac power, heated steering wheel, and stuff like that which adds a ton to a jx by the time you work through the Infiniti packages shell game. It's not just base plus premium equals platinum. Final pricing will be entertaining for sure.

It's interesting, someone earlier declared higher quality leather on the jx. Have they seen both? Didn't think so...

·
Registered
80 Posts
A ”loaded” Platinum Pathfinder comes with tow, real roof rails, 20”ers, cooled seats, ac power, heated steering wheel, and stuff like that which adds a ton to a jx by the time you work through the Infiniti packages shell game. It's not just base plus premium equals platinum. Final pricing will be entertaining for sure.

It's interesting, someone earlier declared higher quality leather on the jx. Have they seen both? Didn't think so...
I may not have seen both in person, but I prefaced that statement with my prior experience in my Armada/buddy's QX of the same year. From the pictures, the Pathfinder leather looks to be of JX 3d row quality. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm basing it off of prior Nissan / Infiniti experience. It's no different than you speculating on what exactly will be offered in each package.

If you want a Pathfinder, get a Pathfinder. It's just silly to come on a JX board and try to convince us all how stupid we are for overpaying for our JX.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I originally started looking for a new "luxury" SUV/Crossover, although I knew the Pathfinder was coming out and it was designed with a lot of similarities to the JX, it still wasn't a vehicle I was considering. I have to agree with Go_Blue, shoppers that are set on luxury model typically will not downgrade to a non-luxury brand.

I understand the whole dollars to value thinking and from what it looks like the Pathfinder is going to be good value for what you are paying. I applied that concept; although it was only applied to vehicles in the Luxury category. I ended up with the JX as I felt I got the best "bang for my buck"; In the end I think it all depends on personal preference and need; if both the Pathfinder and JX were available at the time of my purchase I would have bought the JX over the Pathfinder. It may seem shallow but a Nissan will always be a Nissan, don't get me wrong my weekend vehicle is a Nissan but I like the fact that I can hop into my Infiniti for some Luxury and Comfort. I must admit I like the persona attached to driving an Infiniti :cool:.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I may not have seen both in person, but I prefaced that statement with my prior experience in my Armada/buddy's QX of the same year. From the pictures, the Pathfinder leather looks to be of JX 3d row quality. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm basing it off of prior Nissan / Infiniti experience. It's no different than you speculating on what exactly will be offered in each package.

If you want a Pathfinder, get a Pathfinder. It's just silly to come on a JX board and try to convince us all how stupid we are for overpaying for our JX.
I should post my JX build sheet...

Anyhoo, I'm not guessing or speculating on Pathfinder packages or options. If you drill around on the Nissan site you can find it.

I understand premium branding. I ride a Wilier italian road bike instead of a Trek. Just because. But in this automotive case, I am seeing more functionality in the Pathfinder. It's that pragmatic engineer in me.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Man...this comparo of the two will never end.

They are two type of vehicles that serves two different type of market/purpose/price point/etc. So what if they "appear" similar, they still arent the same. Nobody in their right mind is comparing the P/J to a Murano even though they all have a similar platform base.

Get what you want and what you can afford.

·
Registered
321 Posts
PS. Thx for the post. The one photo of the black P looks great! Did anyone notice the second row cupholder is on the door handle versus the below storage of the door as in the JX? I've noticed this quite a few times already.

Here is a link to Motor Trend's first impressions of the Pathfinder. Down below on the page are a bunch of photos with some of the interior. Look them over, and tell me what the JX has that the Pathfinder doesn't. Just curious how y'all see it. I know there are some who are offended that they are so closely related. Someone said Pathfinder owners would justify them by telling others that "They're almost like a JX" (implying they couldn't quite make the payments for a JX). My son said the JX is a rebadged Pathfinder. Half full, half empty.

I know the JX has a bunch more safety stuff, but I figure driving between the lines and stopping for obstacles is what brains are for. And there's going to be more sound insulation, so the JX will be better on NHV. But I dunno, the Pathfinder's newer generation CVT is supposed to be smoother and quieter...

EDIT: I was talking about better in the interior. I know the JX has HIDs and LEDs on the outside.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When I originally started looking for a new "luxury" SUV/Crossover, although I knew the Pathfinder was coming out and it was designed with a lot of similarities to the JX, it still wasn't a vehicle I was considering. I have to agree with Go_Blue, shoppers that are set on luxury model typically will not downgrade to a non-luxury brand.

I understand the whole dollars to value thinking and from what it looks like the Pathfinder is going to be good value for what you are paying. I applied that concept; although it was only applied to vehicles in the Luxury category. I ended up with the JX as I felt I got the best "bang for my buck"; In the end I think it all depends on personal preference and need; if both the Pathfinder and JX were available at the time of my purchase I would have bought the JX over the Pathfinder. It may seem shallow but a Nissan will always be a Nissan, don't get me wrong my weekend vehicle is a Nissan but I like the fact that I can hop into my Infiniti for some Luxury and Comfort. I must admit I like the persona attached to driving an Infiniti :cool:.

Weekend driver is a Nissan? Its Gozilla!

·
Registered
52 Posts

So does your Armada aged faster than your friend's QX? How are they compare today?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts