Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I threw my gym bag and purse over it and none have too many rough spots, but apparently it had just one spot enough to scratch the finish pretty well on the console where the cup holder and gear shift are. Pretty bummed. It's a superficial scratch about 2 inches long that will not come out. Never had a car scratch that easily. No more tossing!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ya I've got a scratch from my keys right where the gear shift is on the silver finish... :(

·
Registered
248 Posts
The JX has superior quality materials to the Pathfinder (as some guess/hope), the gym bag might have gone right through the console of a new PF... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its the flat wood grain thats all in that console....the cover of the cup holders that pops open, near the gear shift- all that area.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Most car companies use synthetic/fake wood or plastic now. Only the uber high end companies like Rolls Royce use real wood; even then it is recycle wood. I think it is a step towards a better environment; or so they pitch. :rolleyes: More like giving consumer cheap stuff, but charge more.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here's a test. flip the door of the console cup holder open. Look a the edges of the door. Can you see wood porosity in the end of the door panel? Or does the grain wrap around with the curve? Trees don't grow in perfect sizes to make the door so their natural grain patterns wrap around. But, vinyl faux wood wraps nicely on top of plastic.

What the heck else did Kelly Infiniti tell you? LOL....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here's a test. flip the door of the console cup holder open. Look a the edges of the door. Can you see wood porosity in the end of the door panel? Or does the grain wrap around with the curve? Trees don't grow in perfect sizes to make the door so their natural grain patterns wrap around. But, vinyl faux wood wraps nicely on top of plastic.

What the heck else did Kelly Infiniti tell you? LOL....
I did not go to Kelly just trying to relay to the group what I have read. I think what is suspect is the Infiniti site using the word "inspired".

This is a great vehicle, the general negativity surprises me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The kasane washi is a paper product that is applied to the plastic piece and then covered with a durable finish, similar to a prefinished wood floor. The maple is similar in that it is a maple veneer applied in a similar fashion. You could try to polish out the scratch, or just apply some scratch x like you would use on the exterior of your car. The scratch x, won't take it out, but will make it less visible to the eye. As far as only Rolls Royce using wood, that's false. Lexus vehicles use the same technique for their wood trim. If you take the trim off and look at the side, you can see it is a veneer applied to a piece of plastic. If it were a full wood piece, it would shrink, warp and crack, that's the reason for veneer.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts