Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have seen this thread but for the life of me cannot find it now. I have factory rails and cross bars on my JX and need a cargo carrier for a cross country trip in 2 weeks. Yakima and Thule websites both say they have no fit for the JX. Is this really the case? Does anyone have a cargo carrier they have used on the factory cross bars?

thanks!

·
Registered
321 Posts
^I believe that thread still does not have any updates to aftermarket cargo carrier/roof racks/etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Thule Atlantis 1600 and it fits just fine on the factory cross bars. (sorry, no pics) dimensions of the 1600 are 74”L x 36”W x 16.3”H and length-wise goes from mid-sunroof to a few inches before antenna.

Depending on what size you're planning to puchase, most Thule or Yakima should fit fine since they have adjustable clamps. Just pay attention to overall dimensions.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have the Thule Atlantis 1600 and it fits just fine on the factory cross bars. (sorry, no pics) dimensions of the 1600 are 74”L x 36”W x 16.3”H and length-wise goes from mid-sunroof to a few inches before antenna.

Depending on what size you're planning to puchase, most Thule or Yakima should fit fine since they have adjustable clamps. Just pay attention to overall dimensions.
PLEEEEEEZEEEEE post some pics. I badly want to see what it looks like. I have a Thule 1800 and waiting for my JX to arrive for fitting. I'm hoping it doesn't hang over the front/back.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I trial fit my Thule 1800 over the weekend and it looked good. I had to slide it back all the way, but no overhang on front/back. I haven't loaded the box.

Too bad JX locked the horizontal sliders.

IMG_1114.jpg

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
/\/\ That looks good yeller.

On my old MDX, I had to drill a couple extra holes in my Thule rack to move it far enough forward that the rear spoiler didn't hit the bottom/rear of the roof box. I've never had a problem with that change. MDX also had fixed position cross bars.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks pretty good Yeller. I still can't figure out why they locked the cross bars.
They look to be right above the pillars. I am sure the rails are non-structural.
If you wanted sliding cross bars, the weight has to be reacted at the rail attachments.
Considering how the D-pillar is shaped on the JX, its probably not very good as a structural support either.

·
Registered
524 Posts
They look to be right above the pillars. I am sure the rails are non-structural.
If you wanted sliding cross bars, the weight has to be reacted at the rail attachments.
Considering how the D-pillar is shaped on the JX, its probably not very good as a structural support either.
Thule wants the crossbars to be as far apart as possible. In addition to being fairly close, the JX crossbars are not exactly angled straight, sloping down towards the back of the car. Thule has claws to grip so it really doesn't matter, just strange.

The other weird thing is how long the roof rails/runners are, running the length of the roof. So WHY did the JX lock the cross bars so close? I guess they really didn't expect people to use them, or they are better matched for bike or ski racks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys, look really good with the thule. I have a question. When you remove the Thule, do you also remove the crossbars or you leave them always on the truck? I ask because I drive an Audi Q5 and I always remove the crossbars other wise I hear noisy whistling when on the highway. I want to buy the crossbars for our JX but just want to be sure I can leave them on the car without problems. thanks.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Hi guys, look really good with the thule. I have a question. When you remove the Thule, do you also remove the crossbars or you leave them always on the truck? I ask because I drive an Audi Q5 and I always remove the crossbars other wise I hear noisy whistling when on the highway. I want to buy the crossbars for our JX but just want to be sure I can leave them on the car without problems. thanks.
We have the cross bars on and don't notice any wind noise. I test drove a model without them and it didn't seem to be any different.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the Thule Atlantis 1400 with a Thule bike rack. Wished the crossbars were not fixed, but no problems installing both cargo and rack.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I heard wind noise when driving back from Whistler last week at highway speed. It was annoying. I will probably test it with and without to be sure it's coming from the cross bars.
I went to a local shop and the 18 cu ft racks that fit were the Thule Boxter and Atlantis 1800 XT. The Boxter seems pretty overpriced, but that extra inch of height on the Atlantis pushes it over 7' I think! :eek:

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I'd be curious to see someone do an mpg test with/without cross bars. They're aerodynamic enough that I doubt they have much effect. But I know on the Q5 it makes a difference - as well as noise. In the past when I've done experiments with/without cross bars and with/without roof box in place, I've found differences. Thule (square) cross bars make a difference of 1/2-1mpg and roof box 1-2mpg.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts