Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was driving our 2 year old son on Saturday when the brakes failed. She was approaching an intersection and attempted to apply the brakes, but the brake pedal would not move. She tried over and over and the brake pedal finally moved. The brakes applied and she was able to stop the car before anyone was injured. Naturally, we are unimpressed with this vehicle now. We had it towed to the Infiniti dealer where they are attempting to locate the problem. Has anyone experienced this issue?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We just received word that Infiniti is flying an engineer in from California tonight to look at the JX. Not sounding good.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
What do you mean the brake pedal moved? Was it jammed up? Or was the brakes not applying even with pressure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is at Southwest Infiniti. She was unable to push it down at all for several pushes and then it finally went down as normal. It was like it was locked in the up position.

·
Registered
149 Posts
WOW WTF. I'm glad no one got hurt.

Hopefully it's just an isolated issue and not on a number of JX's. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I second this...

WOW WTF. I'm glad no one got hurt.

Hopefully it's just an isolated issue and not on a number of JX's. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It is at Southwest Infiniti. She was unable to push it down at all for several pushes and then it finally went down as normal. It was like it was locked in the up position.
Could be a failure somewhere in the hydraulic system. Maybe the brake booster. I doubt the actual mechanism of the pedal got jammed up. Still could be a possibility though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The brake booster was my first thought as well. The Infiniti guys seem to think it is related to the anti-lock braking system. No final word yet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Even if the booster isn't working, the pedal should be able to push the mastercylinder through the direct linkage and plunger system.

Nanny technology is getting too complicated, it's getting to the point where I would trust my driving skills to someone else's software coding skills. From what I can tell, the Nissan Mallfinder Platinum we have ordered only has ABS, active brake assist (increases hydro pressure is the pedal is pushed quicker/harder than a given threshold), individual caliper control for the stability system, and hill holder brake. But all that stuff is pretty well proven by now.

What ever happened with the JX's that were slamming on the brakes by themselves when there wasn't really a pending collision?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NHTSA is investigating the brake assist issue where the JX's come to a complete stop for no reason. It would not surprise me if our issue is somehow related to the brake assist system.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought the recent patch/recall fixed the surprise braking issue. My tech told me it was an internal recall (as compared to the fuel line external recall).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Even if the booster isn't working, the pedal should be able to push the mastercylinder through the direct linkage and plunger system.

Nanny technology is getting too complicated, it's getting to the point where I would trust my driving skills to someone else's software coding skills. From what I can tell, the Nissan Mallfinder Platinum we have ordered only has ABS, active brake assist (increases hydro pressure is the pedal is pushed quicker/harder than a given threshold), individual caliper control for the stability system, and hill holder brake. But all that stuff is pretty well proven by now.

What ever happened with the JX's that were slamming on the brakes by themselves when there wasn't really a pending collision?
Hey, so you ordered a Mallfinder? Did you test drive it yet?
Please give us a comparison once you did.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
My wife loves the name "Mallfinder". When she drives the car, I can tell if she used the Infiniti Connection to find a location. When I want to set the Navigation to my destination and go to Previous Destinations, I can see where she's been. I was used to seeing street addresses and not, "Kohl's, Lacey Washington"...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We took it in for the recall a month or two ago. The engineers Infiniti promised to fly in still have not arrived and we are being told now that they will arrive on November 7th. Infiniti requested that we be at the dealership that morning to meet with the engineers. Will see how that goes.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
BobOB, you know that the Driver Memory setting also remembers Navi settings, right? I don't think that goes for previous destinations, but it is one of the cool things about the JX.

My favorite new demo of Infiniti Connection is to call and ask them to find me the nearest In n Out Burger location. Searching In n Out under places (POI) on any navigation system I've ever used is next to impossible. Is it "In and Out", "In 'n Out" "In Out"...??? Infiniti Personal Assistant gets it right every time.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
We took it in for the recall a month or two ago. The engineers Infiniti promised to fly in still have not arrived and we are being told now that they will arrive on November 7th. Infiniti requested that we be at the dealership that morning to meet with the engineers. Will see how that goes.
Keep us updated.

·
Registered
175 Posts
what have they done for you in the meantime? give you a loaner car?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts