Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed bike roof racks on their JX35 on the factory crossbars? We are avid cyclists and have a trailer hitch rack for two bikes, but I need to carry two more bikes on the roof. Is there a weight limit? Also I read that the factory crossbars are close together and I wonder if Thule and/or Yakima bike racks will work. Lastly, how about surfboards?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thule makes bike racks that works on the JX rails. You can see them at Infiniti Canada's website. They are specifically designed to hold 2 complete bikes on the roof.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey Kesser, the receiver hitch on our Pathfinder is a Class 3 with 5000Lb, 500 tongue weight capacity. Infinitiy probably won't tell you that with the JX because it's driveline limits its tow rating. I've crawled around underneath the car, and am quite pleased by the design and mounting. It's robust!

We used to carry 5 bikes on top of a Subaru wagon with a Yak set up. We had a JX ordered, and I had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to get a hitch mount to carry 4 bikes. But the Pathfinder has real metal roof rails, so I could do the Yakima-5 trick with it. But I still went with a hitch rack, one of those Thules that you set the whole bike on the tray and secure it with the hook that grabs the front wheel. Doing that, you don't have to put the wheels in the car, either. Plus, that's a long way up to be hoisting bikes. Not too bad with my 15lb Wilier road bike, but my 25lb SantaCruz mountain bike would start to get intersting. Lifting onto our Volvo Wagon was bad enough for me with two partially torn rotator cuffs.

I saw a picture of 3 bikes on a Pathfinder roof rack. Notice the PF and JX cross bars are stylishly curved. The bikes on the outsides tilted outward proportional to the down slope on the edges of the cross bars. It looked like a porcupine to me. And, as I am sure you have noticed if you've ever put your bikes on when the car is sloped sideways off the side of the road, it's hard to get the bikes on at an angle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a thule bike rack on the roof and it fits fine. I also have a thule cargo box on there. I think the weight capacity of the crossbars is 300# but better confirm that yourself in the car manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two Inno aluminum bike racks on my roof. I do triathlons and have ridden hundreds of miles with the bikes on the roof with no problems. With the Inno racks there are no adapters needed and they come with locks (you don't have to buy lock cores). You can also get them in black but the aluminum match the factory cross bars perfectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rumor has it Rocky Mounts / Tie Rods will fit on the JX factory crossbars, but I heard they have to be installed facing backwards so the tailgate will not hit them when raised. Has anyone seen this or have pictures of their JX with roof bike racks installed?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Kesser, in case you didn't know, you can reposition the tailgate so it doesn't open so far. Put it where you want it, press and hold the open/close button for ~5 seconds, and it will then re-open to that position.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts