Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dealer said they are no longer making base models and soon base+premium packages will no longer be available either. searched 100 mile radius and base models are non existent and premium pkg only seems to be hard to find as well. what is infiniti's rationale for this? frustrating that optional packages are no longer options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This might be true. I think I bought 1 of the 4 base models that was available in the Northeast area within 500 miles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
if this is indeed true then the "new" base JX will have (premium + driver assist package) +/- AWD, this will definitely put an end to comparisons with 2013 pathfinder.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That may well be the purpose to do it. They have to promote the PAthfinder also. Settng price difference is one way to do it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
if this is indeed true then the "new" base JX will have (premium + driver assist package) +/- AWD, this will definitely put an end to comparisons with 2013 pathfinder.
That is a good point. Like I've said in other threads, a JX with only Prem Package will be similar in features to a Platinum Pathfinder (and the Pathfinder actually has a few extra features, such as heated rear seats). So I guess this could be Nissan's way of differentiating the two models even more.

·
Registered
80 Posts
When we were purchasing ours, we wanted base + premium + deluxe touring without the driver assist. Infiniti wouldn't let us order that. When I talked with their customer care center, they explained the changes in package offering was intended to help increase production and help meet the demand. That made sense at the time, but I also agree with your reasoning here...it's another differentiator from the very similar Pathfinder.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What kind of prices are people paying for the base model AWD? I see prices for the different packages but nothing for the base model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is interesting. I'm just beginning to research the JX and I noticed that my dealer has 60 JX's either in stock or in transit. Only two of them are base models. I thought the dealer's purchasing manager was off. It didn't occur to me that Infiniti would stop making base model JX's. That's just odd.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The sales GM for one of the Dallas, TX dealers posted on the Edmunds board that there was a part shortage for the base model that slowed shipments but they still are being manufactured. In the Phoenix/Scottsdale area none of the dealers has a base in stock. One dealer initially told me the base was no longer made & when I said that was too bad and we were going to head over to Acura to look at the MDX, they reluctantly agreed to order a base for me (which we since cancelled given very poor service from that dealership, Infiniti of Scottsdale).

After searching the web, dealers in other states have received a few base models the past two weeks but the ones I saw sold very quickly. Another dealer near me that has been great to work with (Superstition Springs Infiniti) searched the nationwide Infiniti inventory and the salesperson told me there were at least 50 base models scheduled for delivery to dealers in the next month or so. I was able to intercept a base model that was scheduled for delivery to another dealership somewhere in the U.S. and it will be delivered to my dealer in a few weeks for pickup (better for me so I did not have to wait the quoted 90 days to have a base special ordered).

Maybe Infiniti truly does plan to phase out the base models - but if not, they are definitely hitting dealers with premium and above models. My guess is since demand has exceeded their initial forecast (according to my dealer) Infiniti corporate is going for the additional revenue/profit while the JX is hot & limiting the number of base models.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
The sales GM for one of the Dallas, TX dealers posted on the Edmunds board that there was a part shortage for the base model that slowed shipments but they still are being manufactured.
That sounds like BS to me. Really? We're out of parts for building the model that has the fewest parts on it, but we have plenty of parts for the models with lots of options?

I've seen one base model come through our dealership. We traded it to another dealership for a JX that someone actually wanted to buy. Maybe that's a function of the fact that we're located in a pretty affluent area, but buying a JX with no options just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sinecure - I too thought the part shortage was rather odd (according to that poster "they had a shortage in parts on a wiring harness") but I've heard it all the past few weeks!

I understand your point about buying a base JX. My wife is using the JX as a company car & needed to get a name badge on the car given the customers she interacts with so we went with the JX (as we like the third row). She doesn't have a need for the nav system, TV screens, etc while shuttling around customers. Utilizing VPP, I agree it makes sense to load the car & get a bigger discount - - just wasn't practical for us in this situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
buying a JX with no options just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Paying $4,950 for a navigation system I don't want doesn't make a lot of sense to me. And I know there are other things included in that package besides the nav. Pretty sure I can figure out what the weather will be like tomorrow without spending 5k. ;)

I would have everything I need with the base model and the Drivers Assistance Package. But you can't get the DAP - or most other packages for that matter - without first buying the premium package.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree that I would have loved the Drivers Assistance Package but does not need the navigation - so went with the base. I wish Infiniti would have let us customize as per our needs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any word on the Base availability ? Has the wiring harness issue been resolved or is that still an on ongoing issue. I heard from my dealer they couldn't order any Base last month (And this month), that it was not "order-able". I wonder if things would get better in October.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't have any insight into whether their truly was a wiring harness shortage (that is just one explanation I saw out there on the web). Did you ask your dealer to check nationwide inventory for upcoming deliveries within the next month or two? Maybe you can intercept an order slated to another dealer (if it hasn't yet been sold at that dealer) as we did? When we did this two weeks ago our salesperson said he saw about 50 base models in the system for future delivery (not sure how many are unsold but that is an option).

·
Registered
4 Posts
They checked California wide, not sure if they have done a nation wide search but I'll check. Problem is when it comes to intercepting other deals, they may try to jack up the price because of the trade. We don't really have a time table, but it bugs me that we can't even "order" the model for a 5-6 month delivery. That doesn't sound right to me, but they claim that is currently the case. I think they will give me another update tomorrow about the status of October order-ability, I'll update again. I have the same thought as you, I can use VPP to get a discount, but I really have no need for the added stuff in the premium package. I hope this is not their delay tactics to try and push their existing models on the lot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't think they are allowed to inflate the VPP pricing . . . however, they may play games with your trade-in value. I used cars.com (did a search nationwide for the JX under $45K as I figured that would likely return the base models or a base with limited options) as a gauge when I started my search about a month ago. At that time the search returned ~20 base models. When a local dealer told me they no longer made base models, I called some of the dealers directly and discovered that they truly were in stock - - including some in CA. Doing a similar search right now returns 41 JX's - mostly on the east coast - - so they are definitely still being delivered. Keep in mind cars.com is only showing those dealers that actually post their JXs. When my sales guy did a search of Infiniti's nationwide system he found many more. We were in the same position and were going to order a base w/limited options & was told initially it would take 4 months & later that it should take a max of 90 days. Our sales guy found a base out there in a color we wanted and a few minor options & intercepted delivery slated for another dealer. Got an email last week that our car has been manufactured & has a VIN and should be delivered in the next two weeks. Going this way the entire process will have taken ~6 weeks (fingers crossed no issues with delivery). I would push your dealer to go this route if possible. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Called up my dealer (Frontier Infiniti) and they are still playing the "not available and not orderable" game. The dealership seemed pretty shady to me at this point, as they didn't appear to have put any effort in looking for intercepts in the past 2 weeks. I didn't go the cars.com route (although I wished I had, that seems like a great idea), but I did something similar by searching (painfully) through all the dealership inventory in CA through the infiniti website. And low and behold I found a dealership in southern cal that has a Base model with the color I wanted in transit for this month. Even after I told my dealership this, they still are not willing to do anything. Horrible service. So I called up the new dealership directly and they confirmed the VIN and that they accept VPP. Whole process took only a few email exchanges and phone call in under a day. We placed the deposit and that should lock in the car. It's expected to be delivered end of the month, fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts