Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the intelligent AWD system kicks in when the vehicle feels slippage but does something light up on the dash to let the driver know when the AWD is on? The weather has been great by me and I don't think the AWD has ever kicked in yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No it doesn't. It's going to be highly invisible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm currently driving a 2013 Ford Escape with intelligent 4WD and I find or awesome thwart I can go to the dash information screen and see how much power the front and back tires are seeing. Interesting to see that when taking off it uses all four untill it reaches certain speed and then goes to FWD. I'm sure the JX has to have the same kind of option on the small drivers screen. We don't have ours yet, play around with yours and let us know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Its not even marked on the car anwywhere. For all you know they might have built a FWD and delivered it to you.
Yeh I thought that was weird. It's not even on the lease/finance or DMV paperwork. Only place it said AWD was on the cars sticker price. I actually looked underneath to make sure there was a rear diff lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've also been trying to find out what kind of AWD system is utilized. I doubt it's the ATTESA system since the JX is fwd based. I'm assuming the front diff is open since the manual states the VDC system brakes individual wheels to transfer power to the non slipping wheel. I wonder if the rear diff is open too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
It is a smart (stupid) system that you can't do anything with and it will not let you know anyhting about. Only when slipery is detected it will kick in. And even then, there is no display and you can't tell it is AWD or the VDC. It just about 200 pounds to carry about.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wish they would have a flashing light or something to let us know the AWD is kicking in. I also check for a rear differential to make sure i have an AWD model!

·
Registered
524 Posts
A flashing light would have been a distraction during a dangerous moment. If your front wheels start to slip, do you really want to be notified? You will see a slip notification if one of the back wheels slip, but not if they get traction.

For all the AWD owners, peek under the back bumper and look for an axel.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm pretty sure the FWD versions have an axle back there too.

Actually they don't. It's hard to see on the JX becuase the rear bumper is low, but easy to see on Ford's that push their bodies high. When looking under you will see a transfer case where the drive line comes back, then splits out to the wheels. FWD models don't need any of this hardware, thus weighs less.

Funny pic, I'm sure the FWD JX can do the same, however you may get a warning light.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts