Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Click the link for the rest of the review

"The JX35 was a godsend when dropped for me at JFK as I returned home from a family vacation in Europe with five people and a ton of luggage. Quiet, cool (as in air-conditioned, when it was 98-degrees in Queens) and comfortable, I found it useful, well appointed, and generally inoffensive, which is the most I usually hope for in a crossover," he writes. "Only problem was, I'd just spent almost two weeks in the Germany and Italy driving a European VW Sharan TDI minivan, which handled better, carried as much, and got about 75 percent better fuel economy (35 mpg on average versus the 20 mpg I saw in the Infiniti). So the JX didn't fare well in that comparison. And then yesterday, Ford dropped off an Escape, and driving it last night it was jaw-droppingly sporty, more nimble than the JX could ever be, plus smooth-riding, quick -- I couldn't believe how pleasant it was. Both of which bookends threw the JX into a less positive light. Its kind of ungainly looks aside, the JX reminds me in function and performance of my beloved 1995 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon -- big, solid, lots of room, and 20 mpg, no matter what you did. But I don't think I could hang on to a JX for 165,000 miles, the way I did the Benz. It's good, it's solid, but it's no classic. It's not a gas-guzzler, it's not a body-on-frame truck -- that's some sort of progress, I suppose. But Infiniti ought to do better. The Sharan, a Europe-only model, and the Escape, an admittedly smaller car, seem like they might provide some of the answers."

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/review...infiniti_jx35_september_update/#ixzz25nYHKINu

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I'm supposed to believe that this is what I want over the JX?

vw-sharan.jpg

No thanks. Utility is important, but if I only bought cars for utility, I would own nothing but Ford Panel Vans.

As to the Escape, how in the world does that compare? He admits its smaller, but let's compare vehicles of similar size and utility if we're going to do a comparison.

·
Registered
98 Posts
But how does that thing get 39mpg?
The VW is a diesel as far as I know. I don't understand how he can make a comparison to a vehicle that is not even available in North America, it's completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The VW is a diesel as far as I know. I don't understand how he can make a comparison to a vehicle that is not even available in North America, it's completely irrelevant.
because the author is a moron. The reason why the VW isn't for sale here in the US is because it won't sell. Otherwise, why would VW not import that truck to the largest market in the world? And then to compare it to the Escape? Really? He might as well have compared it to my Porsches and said "but the Porsches handle better".... Moron...

·
Registered
42 Posts
From what I understand the Sharon manufacturing plant would not be able to keep up withroduction if it was also sold in north America. VW has sold about 700,000 of them globally in the past 15 years.

The model talked about in the article above is definitely a diesel.

I think the jx would be perfect with nissans 3.0 diesel engine and a 7 or 8 speed transmission.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts