Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those unfamiliar with Apple TV, it's a device a little bigger than a hockey puck that allows you to do some pretty cool things on your home tv. You can rent movies, listen to music, and wirelessly stream pictures and videos from other Apple products like an iPhone. I wanted the capability for the car so the kids could watch something over the Internet, or a movie we have on our iPhones or iPads.

To make this work, I converted the Apple TV to run on 12vdc, and used an HDMI to composite converter. For Internet access, I use my jailbroken iPad (unlimited plan) as a wifi hotspot. This also gives me the ability to use another iPad or iPhone as a remote. All the equipment is contained in the center console. The end result is now I can rent a movie, stream TV (using a Slingbox at home), or watch videos and pictures stored on my iPhone.

You can see a video of the system here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a47aOPim1Gc

Let me know if you're interested and I'll post more info on how I did it.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I just watched your video. Nice job! It is very informative and you made it understandable. You-Da-Man! Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice !!!! I am looking into pop in Raspberry PI or INTEL NUC to get the Mobile Computing going on JX !!!! Keep you all posted

·
Registered
524 Posts
That's amazing.. My kids would never get out of the car if I installed that. You should also consider installing the Nav-hack to port video to the front screen while the vehicle is in motion. Even if you don't watch when driving, someone in front may need to change videos, etc... while the car was in motion. My kid is 3, so he hasn't mastered the remote, yours may be older.

I also trying to come up with a Pi-based approach to take advantage of more user functionality out of the front screen rather than playing videos. For videos, Apple TV seems like the best approach.

I currently port Waze from my iPhone, but the front display isn't very clear and using cables in the world of world of wireless is cumbersome. I may switch to DLNA wireless, but that requires an Android phone.

Awesome job and thanks for the video/post.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm going to use an MHL adapter to get hdmi out from my HTC One, and then use an hdmi to rca converter to connect to the car. That way I can stream netflix or youtube, or videos from the directv app right onto the tv's. Hopefully it works good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts