Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace our MDX, which can tow 5k lbs. Our boat and trailer is around 3k lbs., but once you include fuel, ice, gear you could be talking 2-300 lbs. more, but still within comfort range on the MDX. We're thinking about the JX but it's capacity looks to be 3.5k lbs. Anyone towed a boat near that capacity on the JX? If so, was handling still ok, and did you need to add tongue weight or any other mods? The JX otherwise seems to be an ideal car and more advanced than the current MDX, but we'd need to make sure it can tow our boat since our other car (sedan) definitely can't.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I haven't towed with a JX yet. I have towed with an older MDX (2001). So take my comments with something of a grain of salt. I've also towed with other vehicles. Here's my take:

If your boat comes in under 3500lbs loaded, you should be fine. The biggest variable I've found with towing is wind resistance. If the boat on the trailer is notably taller than the JX, and/or if you are going to tow with a big top/windshield up on the boat, you'll probably notice a lot more drag than if your boat is lower profile, doesn't have a bimini top creating extra drag, etc. I used to tow my motorcycles behind the MDX a lot. On a flat trailer, it was easy - almost like I wasn't towing anything. When I borrowed a neighbors small box trailer it was different. His trailer wasn't that heavy, but it stuck up above the roofline of the mdx by about 3 feet. That added wind resistance dropped my fuel economy by almost half, and dramatically changed the handling characteristics. I had much more drag in acceleration and really felt it pushing me when braking (no brakes on the trailer).

The other issue is whether you'll be towing up/down big hills. If yes, you're also more likely to stress the car at the margins.

So if the boat on the trailer will be fairly aerodynamic and stay below or close to the roofline of the JX, I'd think you'll be fine. If not, maybe you need to wait for the Pathfinder or if they update the drivetrain in the JX sometime next year to be the same system as the pathfinder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response - sounds like it might be ok, although I'm interested in how much the loaded Pathfinder will end up being.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It should be a good amount less, but then you won't have the badge appeal so important to some. The Pathfinder does have 5000 lb capacity... which would give you some capacity headroom.

I've always found that when towing, within reasonable comparisons, it seems like it's more the trailer brakes that are important vs the weight of the trailer. Years ago we had a smaller boat with a single axle trailer with no brakes. It weighed maybe 2000lbs (boat+trailer). It gave our 6000lb heavy duty F250 a bit of a work out when stopping. Then we got a MasterCraft tournament ski boat, it is 4000lb (boat+trailer). BUT, it has tandem axles with surge disc brakes on all 4 wheels. The truck doesn't even know it's there. Make sure your trailer brakes are working.

Also remember there's about a 4% drop in power for every 1000' elevation. If you tow from the bay area to Tahoe (for example), you're going to run out of beans really quickly on the grades.

·
Registered
321 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yep, traditional elevated roof rails so you can put on your favorite Yakima or Thule cross bars. Or just plain old ropes. At one point I thought the P and J shells would have the same body weldments with the same connection points, and maybe a P roof rail would switch over. But then I read the the P has a higher roof line in the rear for more 3rd seat head room (different from the Infiniti signature sloping style), so I doubt there's interchangeability there. In the end, I ordered the J's plastic roof rails for looks, knowing they would never be able to do anything useful. We used to carry 5 bicycles on top of our old Subaru.

rails.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
I hope we can confirm this when the P is out...I would definitely switch the rails if they are interchangable.

Yep, traditional elevated roof rails so you can put on your favorite Yakima or Thule cross bars. Or just plain old ropes. At one point I thought the P and J shells would have the same body weldments with the same connection points, and maybe a P roof rail would switch over. But then I read the the P has a higher roof line in the rear for more 3rd seat head room (different from the Infiniti signature sloping style), so I doubt there's interchangeability there. In the end, I ordered the J's plastic roof rails for looks, knowing they would never be able to do anything useful. We used to carry 5 bicycles on top of our old Subaru.

View attachment 164

·
Registered
193 Posts
Whether you have the Pathy or the JX, get the crossbars, then you can attach your preferred Thule attachments. Both the Pathy and the JX ultimately are secured via metal connections. Yes, the regular JX rails are just for looks, but it becomes functional when using the crossbars, which is why I have the crossbars!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I should reply to the original question..........I have towed with my JX, but just a light trailer. I will say this though, I had a 2003 Nissan Murano (Nissan's original CVT in the USA) which also had a tow rating of 3500lbs. I had no problem towing a full trailer load of WET sod. It towed awesome, nice and smooth, and better yet, that trip I somehow managed 24mpg while driving around 55 on a county highway. That was impressive!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sorry, the Pathfinders roof rails are plastic, although they are elevated so not totally useless.
Actually... yes they are metal. I have a Pathfinder now and know for a fact. The top pieces of the end caps are plastic, snapped onto metal lower pieces that are bolted to threaded holes in the body shell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts