Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you checked your air filter recently? I just checked mine, it is very dirty, more so than my Murano with 50k miles on it. My JX only has 5k on it, and the air filter is almost black, what's wrong?

·
Registered
524 Posts
The filter is to clean outside air before getting sucked into the engine. If its black, something got sucked into the air intake. Does it look like mold? Dirt?

It is strange that it's black so quickly. I'll need to check mine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Any update? Have you bought a new filter? If you could, take pic's of the old and new filter just so we can see how bad it really is!

Changing those filters are easy and cheap. You might be able to find one at your local parts store from an aftermarket brand.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I donot go very close to construction site, but my office is next to one, where I park. The thing is, it is really dirty in just 5 month, comparable to a 50K filter before. I suspect may be there is engin backfire or something that caused it to be dark so quickly. Will change it out soon.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Fuel injected motors don't backfire. Carbed cars could backfire because the intake runners between the carb to the intake valve would be filled with a combustible air/fuel mixture that could explode. Fuel injectors are right before the intake valve, it's just air in the runner, and it can't explode. There is a case of timing being waaaaaaay off, where the plug sparks on the intake stroke when the valve is open, and it can blast backwards. That would be an extremely rare anomaly, which would have thrown a check-engine code.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts