Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research on the JX and might be putting an order down soon. Figured I should share my rules and techniques for preserving the paints condition to help other owners

These are some of the things I try to do to protect the surface!

Don't Touch! - I try not to touch the paint surface if I don't need to. This is especially important if it's dirty or dusty, you will just drag the dirt across the surface leaving fine scratches!

Hand wash using quality products! I only try to use the best wash mitts I can buy. Most of the wash mitts available at your local autoparts store might be fine when they are new but once they have been used 2 or 3 times they start to become not as plush and will leave swirl marks all over your car! My favorite wash mitt is the RaceGlaze sheepskin wash mitt. Also remember to not use a mitt or microfiber cloth that is dirty on your paint. If you use the cloth or mitt to wash your rims, don't use the same one to wash your paint.

Only wash at touchless car washes - I avoid washing the car at those brush and bristle washes that beat on your paint to clean it.

Keep the car waxed! This is especially important if you have a colored car. Some cars may fade color over time. I find that keeping the paint waxed will prevent this. Plus having the car waxed is like having a layer or protection ontop of the paint. It's a slick and slippery finish so dirt and dust tend to just slide off which makes washing the car a breeze. There is this new product called Opti-Coat or Opti-Guard which is like wax but permanent. Many new car buyers are opting for this treatment as it is permanent and doesn't need reapplication like regular wax does. Plus sealing the paint on a brand new car just seems logical. Who doesn't love having a shiny car! Just make sure you read up on it before you attempt to apply it yourself. It's not hard but it is permanent so you must ensure your paint is in perfect condition before you apply it. Most local professional detailers will be able to apply Opti-Coat/Guard. Just look around.

Keep those rims clean! If you ignore the baked on brake dust it will eventually... bake on! I've had to clean some very neglected rims before and it isn't fun. Doing regular rim cleaning is much easier than cleaning baked on brake dust. The same goes for the car. Keep it clean and don't let it get too dirty for too long. You are just making your life harder down the road.

No one enjoys door dents! Try to avoid them! There are many ways to lessen the chance of a door ding. Fixing dings can sometimes be expensive. Be weary of where you park and you will be safe (for the most part).

When driving on the freeway/highway - don't follow so close behind other cars. All that car is doing is picking up rocks and dirt and throwing it all over the front of your car at 60mph. There are ways to protect the front of the car from chips. A product called 3M ClearBra is a transparent film that can be applied to the paint and headlights to protect it from rock chips and scratches. Many tint and audio shops do ClearBra applications. Just look around.

Hopefully this was helpful to someone :cool:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thumbs up for quality detailers.

I recommend the following for your ride in addition to the bi-weekly hand-only carwashes at a very minimum:
- waxed/polished: every 6 or 12 months to protect the paint and shine
- clayed: every 12 months to remove all the grits on the paint surface

Peace and stay away from those 'sapping' trees. :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
great advice. Tree sap is a paint to remove. Make sure you remove bird poop right away too! I've had some burn the paint and leave a permanent mark.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Zaino products only. 2 bucket wash system only by hand and NEVER let the dealer wash the car even if it if free.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I've been doing some research on the JX and might be putting an order down soon. Figured I should share my rules and techniques for preserving the paints condition to help other owners

These are some of the things I try to do to protect the surface!

Don't Touch! - I try not to touch the paint surface if I don't need to. This is especially important if it's dirty or dusty, you will just drag the dirt across the surface leaving fine scratches!

Hand wash using quality products! I only try to use the best wash mitts I can buy. Most of the wash mitts available at your local autoparts store might be fine when they are new but once they have been used 2 or 3 times they start to become not as plush and will leave swirl marks all over your car! My favorite wash mitt is the RaceGlaze sheepskin wash mitt. Also remember to not use a mitt or microfiber cloth that is dirty on your paint. If you use the cloth or mitt to wash your rims, don't use the same one to wash your paint.

Only wash at touchless car washes - I avoid washing the car at those brush and bristle washes that beat on your paint to clean it.

Keep the car waxed! This is especially important if you have a colored car. Some cars may fade color over time. I find that keeping the paint waxed will prevent this. Plus having the car waxed is like having a layer or protection ontop of the paint. It's a slick and slippery finish so dirt and dust tend to just slide off which makes washing the car a breeze. There is this new product called Opti-Coat or Opti-Guard which is like wax but permanent. Many new car buyers are opting for this treatment as it is permanent and doesn't need reapplication like regular wax does. Plus sealing the paint on a brand new car just seems logical. Who doesn't love having a shiny car! Just make sure you read up on it before you attempt to apply it yourself. It's not hard but it is permanent so you must ensure your paint is in perfect condition before you apply it. Most local professional detailers will be able to apply Opti-Coat/Guard. Just look around.

Keep those rims clean! If you ignore the baked on brake dust it will eventually... bake on! I've had to clean some very neglected rims before and it isn't fun. Doing regular rim cleaning is much easier than cleaning baked on brake dust. The same goes for the car. Keep it clean and don't let it get too dirty for too long. You are just making your life harder down the road.

No one enjoys door dents! Try to avoid them! There are many ways to lessen the chance of a door ding. Fixing dings can sometimes be expensive. Be weary of where you park and you will be safe (for the most part).

When driving on the freeway/highway - don't follow so close behind other cars. All that car is doing is picking up rocks and dirt and throwing it all over the front of your car at 60mph. There are ways to protect the front of the car from chips. A product called 3M ClearBra is a transparent film that can be applied to the paint and headlights to protect it from rock chips and scratches. Many tint and audio shops do ClearBra applications. Just look around.

Hopefully this was helpful to someone :cool:
Are you familiar with clay bar and if so, what's your opinion on its use/application.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don't let the dealer do a new car prep on your vehicle.

My last 3 cars have had 'no dealer prep' on the contract. Beautiful paint.

2 bucket wash with grit guard is a must....

Keep your mits / microfibre clean. I used to spend lots on expensive microfibre but now I like to buy cheaper MF and just throw them away when done. There's no way MF gets clean enough in the wash. Just take one and throw it on the floor in the garage where there's things like saw dust, sand etc. Wash it and you'll see how clean it really gets.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Are you familiar with clay bar and if so, what's your opinion on its use/application.

I think I can answer for him. Claybars work very well in removing everything off the car that isn't paint/clearcoat. So surface contaminants and the sort. The reason people claybar before waxing is simple. Imagine all the dirt that is STUCK on the paint. If you wax on and wax off. You will be scrubbing this dirt around and it will cause light scratches. If you remove the dirt my using a claybar you will have a smooth surface in which the wax can be applied onto without having to worry about dragging dirt across the surface. Using a clean claybar is important too. And also kneading the clay often. You will be picking up dirt on the clay so you want to make sure it doesnt get dragged across the paint.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Makes sense and good scoop. I think I'll be claybaring the JX this spring. I've watched a few YouTube videos and can see why people that care about their cars use this product. Thanks for the scoop.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep, I do clay bar about once a year. It gets all the crap off that you can't get off when washing alone. I only do it once a year b/c it takes a long time to do everything right. Otherwise I'd prob. do it twice a year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For a lazy owner....I love Zaino but really a lot of work...

Buy a lighter color car which hides blemishes much easier.
Shell out for a clear bra to protect rock chips.
After a wash use Zaino Grand Finale Z8.
Protect the leather with Zaino Z10 Leather in a bottle.

That's it!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think for a lazy owner a spray wax is the best option for protection.

I've heard alot about the Optimum Spray Wax and just tried it out this past year. I think it's my go to wax from now on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts