Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question!

Is it possible to accidentally turn off the car while driving if the start/stop button were pressed?
I'm assuming that if I hold the start/stop button down, it will actually turn it off if there's some type of unintended acceleration while driving.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
Stupid question!

Is it possible to accidentally turn off the car while driving if the start/stop button were pressed?
I'm assuming that if I hold the start/stop button down, it will actually turn it off if there's some type of unintended acceleration while driving.
I'm too chicken to try it. I am curious to see what happens however.

·
Registered
81 Posts
hmm cant we do the same with regular keyed cars ? curious on that now or it wont allow it ?

I experienced this on our old 01 Camry where for some reason the battery died while on move. Lost power steering and ABS Brakes become hard to brake. that's about it

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a regular key involves turning of a wrist so it's harder than accidentally pressing the start/stop button.

See this is why it's a stupid question. All I had to do was read the damn manual.

Copy and Paste Manual section:

The ignition lock is designed so that the ignition switch position cannot be switched to OFF until the shift selector is moved to the P (Park) position.

EMERGENCY ENGINE SHUT OFF
To shut off the engine in an emergency situation while driving, perform the following procedure:
– Rapidly push the push-button ignition switch 3 consecutive times in less than 1.5 seconds, or
– Push and hold the push-button ignition switch for more than 2 seconds

·
Registered
14 Posts
This part is not really true.

A few weeks ago, I stopped my car and it was still in the D position (forgot to put it in P) and I was going to hit the Emergency Parking Light button but hit the Start button by mistake and the engine DID STOP.

"The ignition lock is designed so that the ignition switch position cannot be switched to OFF until the shift selector is moved to the P (Park) position."

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hrm. Now I want to have a test drive and see what happens when it's driving above 5mph. If it's not designed as written, there's probably going to be a recall on the manual. hah.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yng,
did you push and hold the start button for 2 seconds?? If you did is that not one of the emergency shut-off Thorin78 just copied out of manual?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the engine stopped pretty much as soon as i hit the start button. as a matter of fact, i just tried it again and I can confirm the engine does stop right away if i hit the start button while it is in D position.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What if you're driving greater than 5mph or 10mph? that's when the navigation lock kicks in right? So maybe it does that?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dont know about rolling cause you need to press brake and push button for start to work
I'd have to agree with that. However, you could set it to neutral, give the keys to someone else, close the doors. Start rolling. The other person could initiate the remote start sequence which is lock the doors and hit remote start.

Copy and Paste from manual
N (Neutral):
Neither forward nor reverse gear is engaged. The engine can be started in this position. You may shift to N (Neutral) and restart a stalled engine while the vehicle is moving.

Push Starting from the manual
CVT models cannot be push-started or tow-started. Attempting to do so may cause transmission damage.
Do not push start this vehicle. The three-way catalyst may be damaged.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd have to agree with that. However, you could set it to neutral, give the keys to someone else, close the doors. Start rolling. The other person could initiate the remote start sequence which is lock the doors and hit remote start.

Copy and Paste from manual
N (Neutral):
Neither forward nor reverse gear is engaged. The engine can be started in this position. You may shift to N (Neutral) and restart a stalled engine while the vehicle is moving.

Push Starting from the manual
CVT models cannot be push-started or tow-started. Attempting to do so may cause transmission damage.
Do not push start this vehicle. The three-way catalyst may be damaged.
You cannot remote start if the vehicle is not in Park

Copy paste from manual

CONDITIONS THE REMOTE START WILL NOT WORK

- The vehicle is not in P (Park).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts