Infiniti JX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading the final specs on the 2013 Pathfinder from Nissan (the JX's twin brother) and was very disappointed to find that not only is the drive train selectable in the Pathfinder and the towing capacity is 5000 pounds, but they used the new Xtronic CVT. WTF, why didn't they go with the new CVT in the JX? I will be really disappointed if I take the Pathfinder for a test drive and find that the new CVT has much improved acceleration from a stop (something the JX leaves to be desired). You would think that the JX would be one with all the bells and whistles, not the Pathfinder....

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm a bit disappointed in that Pathfinder all around. I always equated it to a 4Runner...refined enough to drive every day but extremely capable off road as well. I don't like the looks of the inside or out. They seemed to use a lot of similar design elements as the JX, but cheapened them to differentiate the two. From the front quarter, it looks a lot like the JX, but all the other angles don't look nearly as well thought out. My guess is that same approach applies to the drivetrain as well.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Was reading the final specs on the 2013 Pathfinder from Nissan (the JX's twin brother) and was very disappointed to find that not only is the drive train selectable in the Pathfinder and the towing capacity is 5000 pounds, but they used the new Xtronic CVT. WTF, why didn't they go with the new CVT in the JX? I will be really disappointed if I take the Pathfinder for a test drive and find that the new CVT has much improved acceleration from a stop (something the JX leaves to be desired). You would think that the JX would be one with all the bells and whistles, not the Pathfinder....
What's the benefit of a selectable transmission? I had a selectable gearbox in my Jeep for years, and yes I got to choose when I needed it, but seems easier to simply have the car choose when needed.

Also, what does this new gearbox offer that the JX doesn't? I'm sure it was a timing issue and the new tranny will be deployed during the next mid-year model refresh (2016 Model). Chrysler is running into the same problem with it's new 8-speed tranny.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I think Nissan is trying to target some of its previous owners with something that can tow a bit more and have more flexibility off normal roads. After owning the JX for over a month, I really don't think I'd want to tow anything with it. Its too nice of a ride. By the way, if you look on the main auto magazine reviewer sites at the comments people are submitting, many are pretty upset with Nissan making the change in the Pathfinder. Nissan is unveiling 4 more major changes in their line up over the next year, and if I were a betting man, they are going to either change the Xterra or Armada to apease the former Pathfinder fans.

·
Registered
248 Posts
How do we know that the JX's CVT isn't the latest, greatest Xtronic? It's tough to find out any technical details about this vehicle. They must have a very low opinion of us buyers, assuming we couldn't understand. Heck what locks the rear end? Is the front-to-rear propshaft always spinning, and the differential locks it up like a Haldex in an Audi or Volvo, or is there a "transfer" case at the front like a Subaru?

·
Registered
10 Posts
How do we know that the JX's CVT isn't the latest, greatest Xtronic?
Good point. If the CVT in both the Murano and the 2013 pathfinder is described as "Xtronic", then it is very logical that the JX is using the same unit.

In fact, both the 2011 Murano Cross Cabrio (which has Xtronic CVT and weigh similar to the JX) and the 2013 JX were tested by car and driver, and acceleration numbers for the two cars are very similar

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-nissan-murano-crosscabriolet-test-review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-infiniti-jx35-crossover-test-review

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm excited to finally see the official Pathfinder on their website. I'm anxious to see the prices to come out. This and the JX are exactly what I'm looking for and I passed on the JX few months ago and now the price went up. I have to admit that I like the design of both interior and exterior on the JX more, but it seems like it will cost atleast 10k more for similar options. The P also uses regular gas compare to recomended premium on the JX. The nearest Infinite dealer is too far away while there is a Nissan around the corner. I would really like to see what Honda will up their Pilot, Acura to their MDX, though many reports indicate that won't happen till the 2014 model, and Lexus to the RX.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How do we know that the JX's CVT isn't the latest, greatest Xtronic? It's tough to find out any technical details about this vehicle. They must have a very low opinion of us buyers, assuming we couldn't understand. Heck what locks the rear end? Is the front-to-rear propshaft always spinning, and the differential locks it up like a Haldex in an Audi or Volvo, or is there a "transfer" case at the front like a Subaru?
Automobile Magazine is reporting the CVT in the Pathfinder is different than the one in the JX:

"Nissan has confirmed the 2013 Pathfinder will be powered by a 260-hp, 3.5-liter, DOHC V-6. Regardless of the driveline (i.e. FWD, 4×4), all Pathfinders channel that power through a continuously variable transmission. It’s Nissan’s latest version of the Xtronic CVT, and is more advanced and more efficient than the similar CVT in the Pathfinder’s platform-mate, the 2013 Infiniti JX35."

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/mor...pathfinder-released-161007.html#ixzz22m1TeRLQ

·
Registered
80 Posts
Automobile Magazine is reporting the CVT in the Pathfinder is different than the one in the JX:

"Nissan has confirmed the 2013 Pathfinder will be powered by a 260-hp, 3.5-liter, DOHC V-6. Regardless of the driveline (i.e. FWD, 4×4), all Pathfinders channel that power through a continuously variable transmission. It’s Nissan’s latest version of the Xtronic CVT, and is more advanced and more efficient than the similar CVT in the Pathfinder’s platform-mate, the 2013 Infiniti JX35."

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/mor...pathfinder-released-161007.html#ixzz22m1TeRLQ
Not a huge suprise there...maybe it wasn't ready yet to get the JX on the market when they wanted it. Maybe Infiniti wanted to keep enough up their sleeves for a 2015 refresh of the JX with the newer drivetrain. Either way, I'm very happy with what they provided for a first MY vehicle and any future changes will have minor impact on our resale value.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It’s Nissan’s latest version of the Xtronic CVT, and is more advanced and more efficient than the similar CVT in the Pathfinder’s platform-mate, the 2013 Infiniti JX35."
We'll wait & see if the new Pathfinder CVT would yield any better acceleration numbers than the JX. I also noticed that it does not have sport/snow modes like the one in the JX

·
Registered
321 Posts
^WTF...a better and more fuel efficient engine than the JX!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would really like to see what Honda will up their Pilot, Acura to their MDX, though many reports indicate that won't happen till the 2014 model, and Lexus to the RX.
Acura is really going to have to step up their game with the next generation MDX. They are on thin ice with comparable models like the JX that run circles around it with better mileage and price, especially considering it's Acura's number one seller. Lexus isn't going anywhere with the RX especially with the latest refresh for 2013. Even so, it's still, and probably will always be, a five seater.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Good luck Acura: Without redesigning the size, they will not be able to redesign the 3rd row which the JX/Q7 is killing them in terms of space/cargo room. They cannot keep up w/the market just w/better HP/AWD.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=8804478c-c4a4-4a43-8670-a5da68cb8202

MDX: The mid-sized crossover is scheduled for a redesign next fall and will stay on the Pilot/Odyssey platform. Don't expect much change in size, but definitely look for a dialing back of the "beak" grille. It will get the same Earth Dreams 310-hp V6 engine as the TL.

Acura is really going to have to step up their game with the next generation MDX. They are on thin ice with comparable models like the JX that run circles around it with better mileage and price, especially considering it's Acura's number one seller. Lexus isn't going anywhere with the RX especially with the latest refresh for 2013. Even so, it's still, and probably will always be, a five seater.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not a huge suprise there...maybe it wasn't ready yet to get the JX on the market when they wanted it. Maybe Infiniti wanted to keep enough up their sleeves for a 2015 refresh of the JX with the newer drivetrain. Either way, I'm very happy with what they provided for a first MY vehicle and any future changes will have minor impact on our resale value.
Is there any chance that they'll put it in next year i.e 2014 model? When can we expect that model to be released? Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The only thing I can think of why they used the old CVT is the fact that a hybrid JX is not far off and that is the CVT they use in the hybrid Altima. Also, with every auto company focusing on MPG, I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell that Acura will put a V8 in the MDX. Everything I read actually points to the opposite.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts