Infiniti JX Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Our new 2013 JX also has a production date of 06/2013. Just picked it up yesterday.

Cant look under the car right now, since my wife has it.

I can say that this late model 2013 has a lot more take off thank the one we bought May of last year.

cant we just look up the transmission part number by vin and have someone with a PF verify the transmission part number on their vehicle.

The window sticker has the old mileage and says nothing about greater towing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Per my master tech at infiniti and the parts manager, verified by vin numbers, all QX's and JX's after January have the same transmission.

Awaiting confirmtion of the part number on the QX to the part number on a PF.

I'll let you know as soon as I know.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine is as per Door Panel Sticker is April 2013 .. Hope the New transmission doest leads to Shudder issues reported by PF Owners ..

·
Registered
52 Posts
We dont know if its the same tranny as the PF yet.

Just that its the same as the QX which is rated better mileage and better towing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Haven't had a chance to look under my JX yet, but my VIN won't work on the parts.infinitiusa.com website. I am guessing this is because it's a Canadian VIN. Anyone know where I can run a Canadian VIN to get this info?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Anyone can confirm the towing is 5000 lbs on late 2013 JX?
All the powertrain components between the QX and the late JX are exactly the same. So if the sticker for the QX says it tows 5000 lbs, im going to say the JX will tow 5000 lbs.

per one of the sales guys at Infiniti, they will publish this info for the JX due to commercializing the value of of the new QX.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Feels like a slap in the face to me for all of us that have the earlier build JX's if in fact they did a mid-model switch to the higher capacity trans. Sounds like a timing/engineering blunder to release a all new model then make a major powertrain switch in only 6 months.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I am satisfied with the performance of the transmission since I really wasn't interested in towing but I do think the switch out of the transmission and name change were both piss poor management decisions. Overall I am happy with Infiniti and just hope they don't make another stupid management decision.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just checked my JX, build date 3/2013 and I have the old transmission. That said, I am in Canada so it's possible the Canadian vs US models have different components.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just checked my JX, build date 3/2013 and I have the old transmission. That said, I am in Canada so it's possible the Canadian vs US models have different components.
For Canadians, is there any easy way to check .. i am noob when it comes to under the hood :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get on your knees and put your head under the front of the car. Just behind the engine on the drivers side (if I remember correctly ) is the transaxle, use the pictures posted earlier as a guide to determine which you have. There's only one component visible that will look like the pics, at least that was the case with mine. I'm no mechanic either, so hope I'm looking in the right spot. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Get on your knees and put your head under the front of the car. Just behind the engine on the drivers side (if I remember correctly ) is the transaxle, use the pictures posted earlier as a guide to determine which you have. There's only one component visible that will look like the pics, at least that was the case with mine. I'm no mechanic either, so hope I'm looking in the right spot. :)

It will be obvious when you look down there.

The pan for the CVT fluid on the old tranny is silver with heat sink vein lines on it.

The pan for the new tranny is black and smooth.

Check out the pictures on the 2nd page of this thread.

·
Registered
34 Posts
my paperwork says my jx was manufacturerd in Jan and production in Feb and looking under the car I have the old jx tranny. Was there a problem with the old trannys or is the change just to increase towing capacity?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The change gives you 1 mpg more and increased towing. The old CVT is by far the most reliable CVT Nissan ever created. Over 12 years of service. Through 2005 Nissan was offering 120k warranty on the CVT as a testament to its reliability.

There is no real reliability data on the new Xtronic CVT as it is going in its 4th year on full model runs (2 on the new Murano and 1 on the PF and now the QX60). On a sidenote...we're not even sure that the QX CVT is the same as the PF. I should know by Tuesday/Wednesday once I can pull the part number from PF.

If it is the Xtronic CVT, then we have pros of MPG and towing vs cons of reliability since the Xtronic has torque converter issues causing shuddering/vibrations. But this may have been fixed going into the QX.

This is really just a question "Tried and true vs shiny and new".

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have experienced the shuddering on my 6/13 built JX. This happened while I was on ECO mode and rolling out of a shopping strip at about 10mph, looked both ways and saw an opportunity to make a left turn without coming to a full stop so I stepped on the gas and the vehicle did not respond. Felt the shuddering for a good 2-3 secs before it responded, almost got T-boned from both sides...

·
Registered
81 Posts
It will be obvious when you look down there.

The pan for the CVT fluid on the old tranny is silver with heat sink vein lines on it.

The pan for the new tranny is black and smooth.

Check out the pictures on the 2nd page of this thread.
Thanks to both ..

Below is my pic .. my built date as per door sticker is April 2013 and Canadian

Looks like i am on the new tranny or cover ??? Now i dont know to get excited for better towing / better mileage or get to worry about shuddering ( didnt experiance it yet )

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.