Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What It Is: Captured here by our spy photographers is the next generation of the Infiniti G sedan, the brand's mid-size premium sedan. The sporty rear-driver will be the sister model to the Japanese-market Nissan Skyline and closely related to the larger M sedan and the EX37 crossover. Later on, Infiniti will launch coupe and convertible variants of the G—both of which have proven important to the brand in the past. The styling of the G will reflect the design cues launched with the Essence concept car, including the double-arched grille, the protracted headlights, and the "crescent-shaped" C-pillar.

Why It Matters: The G currently is Infiniti’s entry-level offering—and also its best-seller—but it will become the brand's core model as a front-wheel-drive entry-level sedan and an electric vehicle will be added to Infiniti’s lineup. The G needs to catch up with the rest of the lineup in terms of sophistication, while maintaining the specific character of the brand.

Platform: The next G will ride on an evolution of Nissan and Infiniti's FM front-engine/rear-wheel-drive platform, which forms the basis for a number of Nissan and Infiniti models, including the 370Z. It is a competent and well-proven architecture that offers vast possibilities for rear-and all-wheel-drive variants and different powertrain options.

More at: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-infiniti-g-spy-photos-news

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well looky there...theyre all gonna go front wheel drive. Whack...

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Well looky there...theyre all gonna go front wheel drive. Whack...
Read carefully. I thought what you did, and had to read it twice. What they said was that there will be a new entry-level car that's front wheel drive. The G, as far as anything I've heard/read, will remain rear-wheel drive (with optional AWD). FM stands for "Front Midship" which is code for the engine is in the front, but the bulk of it's weight is behind the front axle - giving it great performance characteristics.

So far, the JX is the only Infiniti that isn't predominantly rear-wheel drive.

·
Registered
321 Posts
"Why It Matters: The G currently is Infiniti’s entry-level offering—and also its best-seller—but it will become the brand's core model as a front-wheel-drive entry-level sedan and an electric vehicle will be added to Infiniti’s lineup. The G needs to catch up with the rest of the lineup in terms of sophistication, while maintaining the specific character of the brand."

I agree that I have read everywhere else that it will remain RWD, but where does it mention a "new entry-level car"?

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
"Why It Matters: The G currently is Infiniti’s entry-level offering—and also its best-seller—but it will become the brand's core model as a front-wheel-drive entry-level sedan and an electric vehicle will be added to Infiniti’s lineup. The G needs to catch up with the rest of the lineup in terms of sophistication, while maintaining the specific character of the brand."

I agree that I have read everywhere else that it will remain RWD, but where does it mention a "new entry-level car"?
You're reading/parsing it this way:
The G currently is Infiniti’s entry-level offering—and also its best-seller—but it will become the brand's core model as a front-wheel-drive entry-level sedan
I'm reading it this way:
but it will become the brand's core model as (read: when) a front-wheel-drive entry-level sedan and an electric vehicle will be added to Infiniti’s lineup.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
dilip, do you ever post anything useful or insightful here? Or do you just randomly resurrect old threads to pad your post count?

Q50 is RWD (or AWD). IS250 is a joke compared to Q50. IS350 gets a little closer, but still can't hold a candle to the drive, performance and tech in the Q50.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks simple but nice design. A concept car is a model that demonstrates a new idea, technology or trend. Concept cars are not put into production directly since they are frequently designed to boast what a car manufacturer can do. Like it!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts