Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lost my 2010 RX450h due to hurricane Sandy and now need new wheels. I have owned my RXh for less than 2 years and is already looking for a replacement. When we bought it, the lady and I we were not married yet and looking forward to a family in a few years. We loved to travel and the hybrid mileage was awesome and we needed something spacious but not too spacious for our luggage and shopping bags.

Fast forward two years and now we are married and she is pregnant expecting in March 2013. As much as we love to get the RXh again we felt that the 350 is worth a shot since the sticker price is not as high and we will not be taking anymore road trips anytime soon.

We thought about the new 2013 Acura RDX and I like the looks and power but the interior is just too cramped for a baby seat and grandparents in the second row.

We are down to two choices, either the 350 or JX.

The 350 is practically the same car we had before and can comfortably fit us both, a car seat in the rear middle and a grandparent on each side but correct me if that is not possible. Now if two years down the road and another baby arrives, one grandparent will have to be kicked off :)

The JX looks nice inside and out but if you compare interior materials, of course Infiniti cannot compare to Lexus although it is nice on its own. It has three rows so space is not an issue.

Advantages of JX: bigger, newer styling (debuted as 2013 MY)
Advantages of 350: better materials, Lexus service

The prices when comparably equipped is about $49K for each so price is not a factor.

Anyone else have the same or similar dilemma?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I actually totalled my 2011 rx with 1400 miles and waited a year and went with the jx. I think the jx has much more soft touch and quality materials. You get more for the money with the jx.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More for the money, yes. Better materials? I have to disagree with that. Lexus leather is so much smoother and softer.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think if the family and baby are you priority the JX will be better suited. The RX350 though a fantastic SUV is a bit cramped. For long road trips the extra space in the JX will be a god given bonus. All the safety features and tech on the JX will ensure your wife and child are always safe :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats another thing, where are the crash test ratings for the JX? Its been out for over 6 months and still no data.

·
Administrator
74 Posts
I think if the family and baby are you priority the JX will be better suited. The RX350 though a fantastic SUV is a bit cramped. For long road trips the extra space in the JX will be a god given bonus. All the safety features and tech on the JX will ensure your wife and child are always safe :)
I must agree on those.. spacious interior is priority and better for the long run if you are looking to grow your family in the near future.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
I can't compare the current model Lexus vehicles but did drive an older model sedan and really liked the ride. We ruled out the Lexus because we just didn't feel we had the room we needed when carrying 4 to 5 passengers. We traded in an older model Mercedes ML and ruled it out because of the same thing, and overall, just didn't want the same old look again. We've had numerous Nissans (had great experience with all of them) and were waiting for the Pathfinder and when I stumbled onto the JX, I started doing a lot of research and decided that would be my priority. Once they arrived and I test drove it, I was extremely pleased with the ride, performance, but most of all technology. I am very pleased with the customer service and how we are treated at Infiniti as compared to other brands. With close to 8,000 miles on this car, other than a few minor issues that will or already have been taken care of by the dealership, I have no regrets on the JX. I like having the extra room for cargo/luggage especially when the rear seats are folded down, but like the ability to carry 7 people. The acid test will be, how does this car handle in our occasional snow and ice days.

I really recommend if your still on the fence, is to take your time and really give both vehicles a good test drive and play with all the features and seat configurations to see which work best for you. Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have both the RX and JX. I feel the interior on the JX is a lot more spacious than the RX, I have three young ones. As for the interior, I agree that the RX has a slight edge in terms of finishing. I definitely think the the JX offers a better value compared to the RX. The one thing about the RX that I miss is the acceleration from a stop. For a growing family, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the JX, but in the end it is a matter of personal preference and your families needs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I still feel like the rx uses a lot more plastic on the doors and other places where the jx has soft touch on most of the door and dash compared to the rx

·
Registered
149 Posts
I must agree on those.. spacious interior is priority and better for the long run if you are looking to grow your family in the near future.
yup, space is a BIG thing, RX doesn't do that great of a job with it, but if you want a reasonable amount of space and sportiness the RX may be it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
RX will do if you only plan to have one child w/in 5 years otherwise the JX is a better bet which was our mindset.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts