Infiniti JX Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice a severe wind noise/vibration coming from the front cross bar at speeds of 100+ MPH?

My daily commute typically gets me to 80 MPH, however 20+ MPH wind gusts are typical in my neck of the woods. Once in a while I hear a strange vibration from the front cross bar. It's not easily repeatable (2 or 3 times in the last six months) and lasts for maybe half a second. I'm sure the dealership won't attempt to recreate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem. It only happens at highway speeds +110 KPH with a strong crosswind from the passenger side (30 KPH or greater). I usually have to get the speed up above 115 KPH before it starts, depending on the severity of the crosswind. Four trips to the dealer so far and no resolution. Roof rails have been replaced.
Without the strong cross wind I cannot reproduce the vibration. I do not have cross rails installed, so I would probably rule that out. Inspection of the roof rails does not reveal anything loose enough to set up the vibration, but
given the right conditions, it does occur. Not something you could take for long on a road trip. Happened again a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same problem. It only happens at highway speeds +110 KPH with a strong crosswind from the passenger side (30 KPH or greater). I usually have to get the speed up above 115 KPH before it starts, depending on the severity of the crosswind. Four trips to the dealer so far and no resolution. Roof rails have been replaced.
Without the strong cross wind I cannot reproduce the vibration. I do not have cross rails installed, so I would probably rule that out. Inspection of the roof rails does not reveal anything loose enough to set up the vibration, but
given the right conditions, it does occur. Not something you could take for long on a road trip. Happened again a couple of days ago.
Thanks for narrowing out the cross rails, and based on your lack of dealership success it sounds like a design flaw. Fortunately it doesn't happen often, but is loud, distinct, embarrassing when it does.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
This is pure speculation, but...

Put a roll of blue painters tape in your car.

I've noticed that the front of the "finisher" - the part that covers the track where the rails attach - isn't really locked down in front of the rail. I'm talking about the painted part in front of where the rail bump is. It isn't very loose, but you could probably lift it. Next time you get this problem. Use that aforementioned painters tape and tape down that little section of the finisher. See if you can now repeat the problem. If not, you have your answer as to where it is coming from. Not sure what the solution would be, but I'm guessing there's got to be some way to fix that piece better (other than with painters tape).

Again, pure speculation. And I haven't experienced this problem so I have no way to figure out how to go make it happen in a new JX. But it would make sense that the problem could be caused by a piece of plastic that starts vibrating under just the right conditions.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is pure speculation, but...

Put a roll of blue painters tape in your car.

I've noticed that the front of the "finisher" - the part that covers the track where the rails attach - isn't really locked down in front of the rail. I'm talking about the painted part in front of where the rail bump is. It isn't very loose, but you could probably lift it. Next time you get this problem. Use that aforementioned painters tape and tape down that little section of the finisher. See if you can now repeat the problem. If not, you have your answer as to where it is coming from. Not sure what the solution would be, but I'm guessing there's got to be some way to fix that piece better (other than with painters tape).

Again, pure speculation. And I haven't experienced this problem so I have no way to figure out how to go make it happen in a new JX. But it would make sense that the problem could be caused by a piece of plastic that starts vibrating under just the right conditions.
Good suggestion, I'll try it next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts