Infiniti JX Forums banner

Clear film protection

28K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  LeinMachine 
#1 ·
Does anyone have pics of their JX with the film protector on it? I got a quote of $700 to do partial hood, partial fenders, full bumper, lights, mirrors and door cups with the option to do full hood and fenders for an additional $500 from a company in the DFW (texas) area, www.pro-tectmobile.com.

I'm wondering if they do partials on the hood/fender if it will leave a visible line where the protection stops.

#4 ·
I have a different question, but similar topic. I'm looking for clear film protection for the interior of the car, to keep the large plastic sills from getting too dirty when you enter the car. I have the wheat interior and noticed that shoe marks have been difficult to clean. Does anyone know of a product that could help?

#6 · (Edited)
I have the 3M for partial hood, fender, side view mirrors and full bumper, it is not noticeable unless you are up close to the vehicle.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Hood Automotive lighting
Automotive side-view mirror Hood Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Automotive tire

The pictures aren't the greatest, but that's about as good as it's going to get with the iPhone.

#10 ·
#7 ·
^Umm...why did you just take pics of the ride, needed pics of the clear bra. J/K. It is best to also take pics when the ride is dirty so that it shows better on pics. None the less, you got a great installer. Congrats!

#8 ·
Lol, Thanks! The dealership did the hood, fender and mirror, I had my buddy do the front bumper for me, he owns his own shop so I got a great deal on the bumper.

#11 ·
The hood, fender and mirrors, were done by the dealership, it was negotiated into the price of the vehicle, I'm not sure what the warranty is on that. The full bumper was done by a good friend of mine who owns a shop, he charged me $100, he will fix it no charge if it starts peeling or if other issues arise, I am not too worried about it as he also did my Lexus which is an 09 and it still looks like new.

#14 ·
3m film protected my car a few weeks back. Cost for bumper (upper and lower, two pieces), hood and mirrors was about $650. The inside door handles already had a film from the factory. I didn't think this was standard, does anyone else have factory installed film behind the door handles?

The film looks good, can't tell it's there, and will hopefully keep my car chip free. I had the film installed on the hood on my M six years back and skipped the bumper, something I now regret. The slab sided front bumper has all sorts of rock dings and nicks. It's plastic so not noticeable more than 3 feet back, but could have been avoided with a little planning (and more $$).

#15 ·
I had 3m film (full bumper, 24" of hood, front of fender, mirrors, door handle cups and door edges) done in Atlanta for $615.00. It looks very good on a Black JX.

#18 ·
3M makes good product for protection but there maybe issue with yellowing with lighter color cars. You can google that. There's are few other products out there. I think Suntek and Xpel are newer products. I picked Suntek because the installer was highly recommended. $850 for partial hood but entire fender, bumper, etc and window tinting. Price is decent but I wouldn't find other installers who had better reps. Also I needed a loaner car while they did that.

Portland, OR

#19 · (Edited)
I wrapped the wifes JX doing full hood, full bumper, headlights, fog lights, side mirrors, door cups, door jams, rear bumper (by the upper cargo area), and tinted the windows. I cant really comment on the price since I did it myself and have a buddy who is an installer cut the film for me on the plotter. I would highly recommend the suntek brand over the 3m. I have used 3m in the past and the new stuff out from suntek is easier to handle, install, and lasts a lot longer without yellowing like I have had with the 3m product.

I will say though you still need to do up keep on all film in order to keep it looking new. All brands will eventually look dingy if you never wash it or wax it. This requires at least once a month putting a wax on it to keep looking new. I installed mine on a black JX and you can barely see the line of the film unless you point it out. The best stuff I have found for maintenance is the Meguiars NXT generation, tech wax 2.0. This stuff reacts really well with the film and keep it looking clear without yellowing.

I highly recommend getting a clear bra installed if you plan on keeping your car as this stuff is worth its weight in gold. My wifes last car that we traded in was wrapped in 2008 and did not have one rock chip or fading headlights in the years we owned it. True story, we were driving on I95 and hit an 18 wheeler blown tire at 80MPH. The tire hit the front bumper and actually got stuck in the lower grill of our SUV. I had to pull off the side of the road and pull the tire out of the grill. The film was scratched and black marks were all over it but once I pulled the film off to re-install no damage was done to the bumper. The film took all the brunt off the tire.

My buddy also had a customer with a new corvette get a wrap job done and weeks later had a brick fall off a vehicle in front of him and hit his car. The film was scarred but after it was pulled off again, no damage to the vehicle the film took the hit. I wouldn't have believed that if I didn't see it for myself.

#21 ·
I agree this is a great DIY project. I've done 3 cars with excellent success. Takes a little practice but a lot of the materials (like Ventureshield) are quite forgiving.

Clear bras are great but as middleurb mentioned, you'll want to make sure there's wax protection on it to protect from UV exposure (yellowing).

#23 ·
I find it difficult applying paste waste to clear films.

Try out Optimum Car Wax. It is likely the most durable spray wax you can find. As durable as most paste waxes. The eases of application and fact that you don't have to worry about hazing is excellent for use ontop of clear film.

It also has great reviews by some of the top detailers in the nation.

#29 ·
Had a guy come to my house and installed full bumper, head lights, fog lights, mirrors, and door handle cup for $600. Didn't go for the partial fender and hood since I didn't like the idea of having a line across the hood and make it more troublesome for waxing with a machine.

#30 ·
Hi Guys,

There are many shops that will do the clear film. 3M makes most of the films that the shops use. Some free hand the job, Ie cut the film themselves, and can offer it slightly cheaper as they don't have to pay for the pattern. Make sure the shop comes recommend, ask for references, even see the work that they have done. Any good shop will be more than happy to provide with this info. If not that's a red flag.The films also comes in different thicknesses. Beware of the thin cheap stuff. It yellows or dulls. This is most noticeable on White and Black Vehicles. Last point ask the installer if you can wax it. Some cannot be waxed otherwise and becomes cloudy in appearance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.