Infiniti JX Forums banner

What media format to use?

78K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  turbocamel 
#1 ·
I'm having trouble getting a flash drive to work in the USB port. Screen says unreadable file. what format should I be using? Does anyone know how to rip a dvd onto a flash drive?

#2 ·
You want to make sure you are ripping to avi DIVX or XVID. If you've already got the files ripped, the key is to make sure the encoding is set to DIVX. That's all I had to do. Here's a link to where i figured it out. Switching the format with the little program at the link takes less that a couple of seconds. You also need to make sure you're using a FAT32 formatted USB drive (which is the format they usually come in). I've got a 32gb loaded with all of the kids shows and it's flawless.

#10 ·
Are you able to get the video streamed via USB to fill the rear screens? On my JX it forms a letterbox with what seems to be the 4:3 center area of the screen. You can stretch and fill this area but it still will not fill into the bars on the left and right side of the screen. The video is DIVX avi and works fine playing on other devices. Thanks in advance for any help or successes you have found.

#13 ·
Bought a couple of iPods from ebay and the amazon basics ipod component cable. I found its faster to rip to using handbrake than using the divx converter I bought from divx.com.
Problems I found with the USB stick method :
1. The interface was too slow. The files took too long to load.
2. It wasn't possible to browse for the next song using the USB memory stick method. The song would jump to the next selection. The iPod browsing is really good. Makes me think, Infiniti designed the system to be used with an iPod.
3. People can control the videos from the ipod (like subtitles, fast forward, change letter boxing, etc).

#20 ·
Yes I did find that screen... If I change the left (either way) to USB, when I move over to the right and choose DVD, it will automatically change the left to match DVD - and vice versa. If I set the left to USB, and the right to AUX, then no issue - it will leave them set to different inputs, but it seems to not be possible to set one side to USB and the other to DVD.

#22 ·
I assume it plays ok on the computer?
I didn't have problems with divx and xvid files on a thumb drive. It just took really long to start playing.
So I started ripping videos with lower sizes which made it better but the ff and rew weren't smooth. Thats why I switched to an iPod video bought from Ebay.

#24 ·
Thanks for the DVIX link/utility. Worked like a charm, and now I'm not constrained to DVD's.

As another post commented, I wish I could fast-forward video. Next step is to try the composite cables. FYI, you can get them on Ebay for about $6 shipped from Hong Kong or China.

#36 ·
Did some more experimenting today. I thought I could use the front AUX to play a video on one screen, while using either of DVD or USB on the other. That doesn't seem to work either. On my car at least the only way to play different video on one of the screens is to use the REAR AUX. Kind of a pain as i would rather control everything from the front utilizing the inputs in the front. Can anyone else confirm this or get a way for your car to play 2 different videos by only using the front inputs (any combination of DVD, USB, or FRONT AUX)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.