Premium vs. Regular Unleaded - Page 5
NEWS

InfinitiJXForum.com is the premier Infiniti Jx Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MacPhee View Post
    I just completed a 1,300 km journey across the Canadian prairies (flat and straight, great standarized testing conditions) and had the opportunity to test different grades of gasoline. I found that this car loves high octane fuel - I got materially better fuel economy with Husky Premium - (94-octane) as oposed to regular premium (91) or regular (87). Even adjusting for fuel price, my testing indicates its a no-brainer to put the highest octane gas you can find in the vehicule. I didn't notice any difference in overall vehicule performance, but it showed up big time in gas mileage.
    MacPhee, A lot of gas stations add ethanol to the lower grades. Ethanol (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml) at 10% will yield 3-4% worse fuel economy.

E10 (gasohol)

E10 (also called “gasohol”) is a blend of 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline sold in many parts of the country. All auto manufacturers approve the use of blends of 10% ethanol or less in their gasoline vehicles. However, vehicles will typically go 3–4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 than on straight gasoline

2. Remove Advertisements
    Infiniti JX Forum
    Advertisements

I work at a car dealership, and we ALWAYS put premium fuel in cars that require it. Soon argue that it doesn't matter, but if you want the best performance with the best fuel economy, do what the manufacture recommends.

In our part of the country regular is 86 octane. I've been on 2500 mile road trips and used from 86 to 94 octane. The only thing that seemed to affect mileage or performance for me is the wind. Probably 90% of my first 15000 miles has been 86 octane. I really can't see any advantage to premium, unless you just want to spend more money.
    Last edited by dpnfi; 04-04-2013 at 03:20 AM.

THANK YOU! I had this argument with someone at work that bought one, you spend 50k on a car, you can afford the gas, if you don't want to, buy a Cadillac

I tried a few tanks of 87 and sensed that the bottom end 1500 to just below 2500 rpm the vehicle felt a bit stumbly..could just be the cvt...but tried so 91 and feels crisper. The next experiment i will try is a k&n air filter they have helped me with my pilot and 85 gsxer to be more repsonsive in the bottom end
    Has anyone tried a k&n

FWIW, I've tried both 93 and 87 octane (northeast), and I've found and felt no difference.

I recently went on a round trip from NM to VA. I ran a few tanks of 87/88/89 octane, and 91. On the highway I found no difference. Averaged 22.7mpg,. My jx is a AWD. I hold true the 91, as its recommended, but truely I felt no difference nor was there any performance difference. When I needed power, sport mode made the difference.

I hate reading threads like this. So many people think they know the answer. There are many vehicles out there that say they require or recommend premium, but their engines aren't shared across the board with other lesser brands that make that engine use regular.

But in this instance, we have two vehicles that use the exact same engine, have the exact same compression ratio (10.3:1) and they require two different fuels for seemingly no reason. Compression ratio has nothing to do anymore with what gasoline is needed, because of knock sensors being able to adjust timing. The Mazda SkyActiv engines have some ungodly compression ratios (above 13:1) and use regular gasoline. Ford Ecoboost engines use regular gasoline, and that's with turbocharged hot air coming through. Why is that? Because engines can retard timing, plain and simple.

People have mentioned using 86 octane in here, but that's becaue 86 is sold at high altitude elevations where the thin air acts as sort of a pre-detonation additive anyway. So it's just the same as using 87 octane at a lower altitude.

Others have talked about the decrease in power they felt between 1500 and 2000 RPMs, but that's normal for our engine mated to this kind of transmission. It normally does dip in this range even on premium octane.

For the first time, I would advocate for using regular unleaded in a car that says "premium recommended." My opinion on all of this is that Infiniti suggests you put premium in the car because Infiniti is a "premium brand" and using regular gasoline might construe people's public opinion that if Infiniti isn't using a more premium fuel in their car, then it really is nothing more than an amped-up Nissan. Besides, all of the European cars that they compete with use premium as well as Lexus and Acura. It is simply a given that premium brands are going to require premium fuel because that is one of the pre-requisites of keeping that premium title.

Make sense?
    Last edited by Prepreludesh; 11-20-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prepreludesh View Post
    I hate reading threads like this. So many people think they know the answer. There are many vehicles out there that say they require or recommend premium, but their engines aren't shared across the board with other lesser brands that make that engine use regular.

But in this instance, we have two vehicles that use the exact same engine, have the exact same compression ratio (10.3:1) and they require two different fuels for seemingly no reason. Compression ratio has nothing to do anymore with what gasoline is needed, because of knock sensors being able to adjust timing. The Mazda SkyActiv engines have some ungodly compression ratios (above 13:1) and use regular gasoline. Ford Ecoboost engines use regular gasoline, and that's with turbocharged hot air coming through. Why is that? Because engines can retard timing, plain and simple.

People have mentioned using 86 octane in here, but that's becaue 86 is sold at high altitude elevations where the thin air acts as sort of a pre-detonation additive anyway. So it's just the same as using 87 octane at a lower altitude.

Others have talked about the decrease in power they felt between 1500 and 2000 RPMs, but that's normal for our engine mated to this kind of transmission. It normally does dip in this range even on premium octane.

For the first time, I would advocate for using regular unleaded in a car that says "premium recommended." My opinion on all of this is that Infiniti suggests you put premium in the car because Infiniti is a "premium brand" and using regular gasoline might construe people's public opinion that if Infiniti isn't using a more premium fuel in their car, then it really is nothing more than an amped-up Nissan. Besides, all of the European cars that they compete with use premium as well as Lexus and Acura. It is simply a given that premium brands are going to require premium fuel because that is one of the pre-requisites of keeping that premium title.

Make sense?
    Yes, you make sense

You can use lower octane gas, as everyone is saying, but it is not necessarily good for the motor. It is tuned for premium gas, which doesn't mean it won't work with the lower grade, but it will run better with premium. You will be able to tell if the motor wants premium gas because it will almost have a knocking sound. The dealership however should not be using lower grade gas for all of their cars Augie23 lol. The JX/QX60 is really the only model that should use lower grade gas if any of them at all. Make sure you are careful with how they treat your vehicle.

12. Remove Advertisements
    Infiniti JX Forum
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.